Above the Floor Rough Bathtub Support

Users who are viewing this thread

shyfy

Reaction score
I am doing a shower to bathtub conversion in my basement. I have purchased an above the floor rough bathtub. My question is regarding the support underneath the tub. The installation specs say to use mortar, but the specs are also for the non afr tub. I don't think just mortar will give it enough support. Our plumber said use foam spray, yet he doesn't really want to do the job.... Anyway.... what about using stringers or wood supports under or a combo of both?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Mortar supports millions of tubs around the world...why wouldn't it work for yours? It doesn't need 100% coverage. Many people put down a bunch of piles, then push the tub into them, ensuring it is sitting level in all directions. If you install your ledger board(s) well, you can use them as a guide and push the tub down into the mortar until it touches the ledgers, then leave it alone until the mortar cures at least overnight.

The lip, or deck of most tubs is required to be supported by ledger boards. Most tubs are NOT designed to actually hang from the ledger boards, but only to prevent them from moving when, say, someone sits on the edge. They also prevent the tub from tipping.

SOme people put some plastic on both the floor and on top of the mortar so it's easier to remove the tub eventually and to prevent the floor from sucking out the moisture from the mortar. Mortar cures, it doesn't dry, and if it loses too much water by drying, it won't be as strong.

shyfy

Reaction score
That is good information, thanks! I just wanted to make sure that the above the floor rough style tub would not be treated differently bc there is so much more area under than a standard tub.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks