Bladder tank exploded

Users who are viewing this thread

Star2525

Reaction score
Hi All,
New here. I have a water well, live in a trailer my pressure switch is where my water comes from under the trailer. Bladder tank originally was underground until five years ago when it went and was replaced with a welltrol 20 gallon above ground tank that was located in an unfinished garage, which is still unfinished so no heat. Last week when everything froze and after pipes fittings frost free valve and pressure switch got replaced and I still had no water I googled instructions for replacing the press. Switch since this was the second one in less than a month my ex replaced for me. I questioned if the tank in the garage needed air and then we found the side was blown out when we went to the garage to look. I am here needing answers to help get this fixed without a plumber. So far I purchased another bladder tank, my ex saw the warnings about explosions. Need info. for installing new tank and is there anything I can do in an unheated garage?
DIY is how my budget dictates fixing.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Victoria

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
Years ago, mobile homes typically had the pump and tank in a pit deep enough to keep them below the frost line (how deep the ground freezes), and moving that tank up to unheated space was a bad idea. One thing you might do, however, would be to purchase a heater band to go around the new tank to keep it up to about 40 degrees...then place a heavy cardboard box over it all to hold the heat...and in lieu of a heater band, you could just use a drop light with probably a 40-watt bulb.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
You're lucky the side blew out. I have seen tanks blow and go through the floor joists, ceiling joists and stop in the attic.

I think leejosepho might be on the right track with his suggestion of cardboard box, but I would also line the inside of the box with styrofoam rigid insulation.

You definitely want to have a pressure relief valve on that new tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks