Recommended brands of gas water heaters

Users who are viewing this thread

mkulter

Reaction score
We're having to replace our gas water heater after 14 years.....it's leaking. I'm trying to find out what brands are recommended. I googled reviews and found that Whirlpool and GE have a lot of negative reviews.

What brands do you recommend and does the number of years on the warranty mean it's a better water heater?

Any help would be appreciated!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Whirlpool is made by a consortium which puts the client's name on them...must be 4-5 major brands all made in that same factory.

GE is made by Rheem, and generally is a decent product. If you get a GE at HD and call the 800 number, they answer Rheem. Not a bad choice either rebranded GE or a Rheem itself.

Bradford White makes a nice product, but generally, it is only sold to plumbers, it may be hard to find if you want to buy one directly.

In most cases, on the same heater, you can pay extra and get an extended warranty. Generally, it is not a different heater...you're buying an insurance policy. Sometimes, they'll replace the plastic drain valve with a brass one, but you can do that yourself and probably come out many dollars ahead. A longer warranty tank might have a second or larger anode, but again, those are easy to check and replace at far less than the cost of 'upgrading'; and, many of them are exactly the same with no 'upgrades' to the hardware, only a different label and piece of warranty paper.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks