(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: adding shower to existing tub

Hybrid View

Default adding shower to existing tub

]I have a nice tub from the 50s, but I'd like to add a shower to it. The walls are tiled and it would be impossible to match or save the tile if I had to tear into the wall. Is there such a kit that will allow me add piping (maybe a fancy brass one) from the water spout upward to provide a shower? Thanks for your input.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

One thing to consider is that the tile may not be installed to be able to survive the water from a shower...a little splash from taking a tub might not show it up, but hit it with a shower several times every day, and you may have the walls falling down or mildew and rot. Maybe not, too. Hard to tell, but it is something to consider.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

JAD has a point in that the tiles may have simply been placed over drywall, or in the 50's could even be a lath and plaster wall. Tile is not a water proof surface due to the grout joints, so if the substrate is not waterproof, then you have trouble.

But in answer to your question, there are many types of spouts available which allow connection of a hand-held flexible shower, or a hard tube up to a mounted shower head.