Kenmore Ultra Soft 400 err 1 and major leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

Jbutz23411

Reaction score
Hello. Today, I noticed the sound of a hose spraying in my basement. I investigated, and realized that the water softener says err 1 (It is the Kenmore Ultra Soft 400) and also, a hose connected to it is leaking uncontrollably. Turning off the water softener does nothing to stop it, except for it turns off the err 1 message. Now we are waterless as we turned off the water valve to avoid and flooding. What can I do?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
There should be a piston behind the valve that is the bypass if that was bought with the unit and installed at the same time, by pushing the piston end or turning a handle 90degrees that will bypass the system so that there is water in the house but untreated for now.
As for the error 1, I would say by the book on the system that the most likely is the motor, either the motor has stopped working or that there is a short between the computer control and the micro switches and the motor or that the motor is just dead . The leak is most likely because the motor has not moved the cam to the service spot.

As a note it is a sad state when others on this board will not answer a question on a sears system, it is almost like it is below their station to do so..

Jbutz23411

Reaction score
We kept the water shut off for awhile now, and we turned it back on so now we have no error message or leaking. Too good to be true, or problem solved?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would do some trouble shooting on the unit.
Check the bypass to make sure that it can be used should it be needed, either the piston type or the turn the handle .
Push the start regen and then once the unit is in brine fill, wait and then pust the start regen again to the brine draw and repeat the steps after it has moved to the next part of the cycle to make sure that the motor is starting and stopping like it should be, and that when back to the service that there is no water going to the drain.
It might have been an opps as in the one and only or there may still be a problem that needs to be fixed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks