Pocket doors and air leakage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Ctreefer

Reaction score
So I'm still trying to attack all means of air leakage into the attic space and started to wonder about my pocket doors in the house. We have 3 pocket doors all on interior walls. From what I can tell by their construction that pocket would let warm air get into my wall cavities and then find any cracks in the framing to get into the attic. Would this be correct? Should I pull back the insulation in the space above and seal the seams around the top plate?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You are being paranoid. The top plate should be tight to the drywall on either side, UNLESS it has wires or pipes passing through it, and those should have been sealed when they were installed.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Best building practice here is to sandwich a strip of poly between the two top plates and then to use acoustical sealant to seal it to the rest of the poly. Of course, other penetrations get sealed as hj described.

Dry contact of the poly to the top plate alone does not assure a good seal. My spec build former home used that method on interior partitions into a cathedral ceiling and had problems with condensation dripping from those rafter bays that had partition walls. An attic would not suffer the same problem.

Depending on the type and colour of insulation in your attic, you may be able to see if/where there are air leaks by the insulation discolouring. Smoke pencil tests around the edges of the doors may suggest leakage into the attic or may be room-to-room air movement.

Windows on Washington

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.windowsonwashington.net
Best building practice here is to sandwich a strip of poly between the two top plates and then to use acoustical sealant to seal it to the rest of the poly. Of course, other penetrations get sealed as hj described.

Dry contact of the poly to the top plate alone does not assure a good seal. My spec build former home used that method on interior partitions into a cathedral ceiling and had problems with condensation dripping from those rafter bays that had partition walls. An attic would not suffer the same problem.

Depending on the type and colour of insulation in your attic, you may be able to see if/where there are air leaks by the insulation discolouring. Smoke pencil tests around the edges of the doors may suggest leakage into the attic or may be room-to-room air movement.

Great post.

You nailed it 100%.

Google Air sealing and insulation and you will be overcome with information.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks