Need Help with Toilet Flange--Moss Bay Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt613

Reaction score
The flange was rusted on my closet flange so I completely removed it leaving only the PVC pipe. The PVC pipe is a 4" x 3". I read online I could use a moss bay repair flange to fix it. However when I put it around the PVC pipe it is too big. I then tried "the clam" and it is also too big. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The repair ring is designed to notch into the slot of the old flange after carefully splitting the old metal part off...with the old flange gone, you need an entire new flange to be installed. If I'm misunderstanding you, a picture might help us understand what you have now.

Matt613

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. My PVC does not seem to have a slot for the flange to fit into. Here are 2 pictures: 1 with the moss bay flange and 1 with the clam. photo2.jpgphoto.jpg

Reaction score

Matt613

Reaction score
Thanks Bluegrass Picker. However, it looks like this flange would require me to remove the existing PVC pipe and replace it with this one. I was hoping to just install a new ring and not have to mess with the PVC pipe.

Matt613

Reaction score
Maybe another thought if I have to replace the PVC pipe...the current PVC flange fits into a 90 degree elbow. Do you think I would have any success in cutting the PVC flange off flush with the 90 degree elbow and then removing the piece of PVC from the elbow? If I could do that, I could just install a whole new closet flange into that elbow. By the way, I don't want to remove that elbow unless I have to as it goes under the subfloor, under a wall and would be a pain to replace.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
There are several brands, but they do make a special drill bit/reamer that will remove a pipe from a socket so you can glue in a new pipe. One of these is a RamBit. Whichever type you select, they have a guide to keep it centered, and a cutting bit that is sized to the diameter of the pipe you're removing. Some a cheaper than others. I've not looked in a rental supply store for one, but they may have one since this may be a one-time use for you. Trying to cut out a solvent welded pipe can be done, but it's easy to split the fitting or end up with chunks where the special tool does it quickly and leaves a nice clean socket to install the new or bit into.

Matt613

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. Do you know if this is a tool a plumber would normally carry on his/her truck? I have a plumber coming to the house next week to sweat in the cooper valves for my shower and maybe he would do it while he is there.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
A plumber would likely be able to handle this fairly quickly. Can't say for sure that he'd have one. Once you get the knack, some of them can remove a pipe from a fitting fairly quickly, and may not opt to go to the truck for the tool, if he has one. It can be risky, because the fitting can break. Those tools only work on sockets or hubs - they ream out the pipe that was inserted into it, leaving a hole you can glue a new pipe into. Sound like this is what you need, but I can't see it from here.

Matt613

Reaction score
Jim

Yep, you are exactly right, the closet flange fits into a 90 degree hub. I will ask him to take a look next week. Thanks so much for your help. Have a great weekend!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HOWTODO; great promotional posting, the problem is that he does NOT have a flange anymore. All he has is a "bastard" sized fitting that none of the standard repairs will work with. Part of the problem with using a "RamBit" is that the opening is NOT the proper size for it to slide through, and they work fastest if the pipe is cut off flush with the fitting and not have to "bore" through a length of pipe first. You said the flange fits INTO a 3" elbow which probably means it is a "spigot" flange, and if so, it is the WORST way to attach a flange to the system.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks