(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: height of p-traps and san tee

Cool height of p-traps and san tee

I am redoing kitchen sinks...Can anyone tell me if there is a minimum or maximum height of the sanitation tee into the main stack, and if there is a minimum or max. height for a p-trap from bottom of cabinet. I live in saskatchewan. Does code have specific requirements? Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

All that's required is that the trap be above the floor. Keep in mind gravity...you don't want it too high. Nor, do you want it so low, you waste all space in the cabinet. The safest thing is to select the cabinet AND sink you want, then install the thing so you don't need to be a contortionist to finish up. Also, take into account whether you plan a disposer, as that requires the connection in the wall to be lower so things don't have to try to flow uphill (or keep standing water in the disposer!). There are 'normal' heights, but there are so many different sinks out there, it's often not safe to assume that will work in your circumstances.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

With a 10" sink and disposal, 16" from the floor works.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Also, keep in mind that the bottom of a 10" drop-in sink will be higher than a 10" undermount on a granite countertop by maybe 2" or so...it really is best to decide on the sink, then rough-in things. Not all disposers have their outlet at the same height, either, should you decide on one. You might be lucky, you might not! Best to keep all of your options open by prior planning.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The minimum would be for the trap to be sitting on the cabinet's floor, and the maximum would be determined by the drain setup for the sink, which you would NOT know until you picked a sink and disposer. MOST disposers have their outlet about the same location, except some "batch feed" models which have the switch in the sink opening.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber