New Artos-Westover shower thermo valve - no hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

Sparkman

Reaction score
Folks
This is my first post and I can see others have talked about 'no hot water.' But I don't understand enough to get the contractor to come back and fix it. (He left for a family emergency before testing.)

Two new showers were built, each with an identical Artos F903-4 thermostatic valves (http://artos-westover.com/kascade/f904-3-2/) and two volume controls. The rough-in for both was done in Dec, the first shower completed in early Jan, and the second in mid-Jan.

One shower works fine.

The second shower puts out cold water only. I have these results from my troubleshooting:
1. The valve handle/stem rotates approx 500 deg, which is the same as the good shower's. (I maybe should mention here I have an extra valve. This was because the contractor told me that the problem shower's handle just rotated around and never stopped. I got a replacement from Artos. However, today I checked it and it works fine just like the others.)
2. House water on, closed both stops, opened right only, result = no water flow. Closed both stops, opened left only, result = cold water. Rotating the thermo handle had no effect on temp or flow volume.
3. House water off, cartridge removed, closed both stops, house water on, opened left stop only, result = cold water. Closed both stops, opened right stop only, result = hot water.

I relayed this to Artos customer service and they said the valve is installed with left and right reversed and, as a result, it doesn't work right. Their suggestion is to connect the input pipes correctly. If this is the only solution, then it will be necessary to rip out a bunch of wall tile (where the valve and pipes are or go at it from the outside wall through the stucco.)

Are there other options or is replumbing a reversed valve the only fix?

Thanx in advance (hope the cartridge pic came through)

Gary (sparkman)

Attachments

• Omaha-20130124-00125.jpg
    Omaha-20130124-00125.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 584

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It appears this cartridge is not left/right reversible. You have a problem. Contractor screwed up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There are some brands/models that can accommodate reversed supply, if yours can't, you have no choice but to fix the supply. Reversed supplies occur more often when you have back-to-back installs - reversing one of them means you don't need to get convoluted in swapping sides for the hot and cold. Fewer fittings, easier to install, still works fine (if the valve and cartridge are designed for that situation).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks