Using an offset for Bathroom Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

bmixon

Reaction score
Hi. I am installing a new sink and vanity in a condo that my daughter just purchased. I have installed new hot and cold shutoffs valves and they seem to work fine. The problem is the drain line. The drain pipes do not line up and I was wondering whether a 1 1/4" offset of some type could fix this problem. I know I could just cut the 1 1/2" copper pipe in the back of the photo and shorten it and then install a new (1 1/2") 90 degree elbows and then install a reducer to fit a 1 1/4" drain pipe but is there an easy way to do this. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Vanity sink plumbing.jpg
    Vanity sink plumbing.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 1,174
Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can put a 45 degree street el in that horizontal 1 1/4 line to move the outlet to the left a bit, you might then be able to rotate the trap so the vertical will drop right into it. You might want to check the fit and dimensions before you cut it apart. There might be such a fitting that would go into the trap fittings but I don't know of any.

The advantage is that you have only one fitting to mess with and it is fairly accessible. I don't know of a 1 1/4 offset that would go in the vertical.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Either cut the pipe so the trap moves backwards, or get a new longer trap and install it so it is "in front" of the drain and rotates backwards to line up.

bmixon

Reaction score
Fixed

I finally got everything to work. I cut the 1 1/4 copper pipe in the back and sweated on a new 90 degree elbow and tried to get everything straight. It still is at a very slight angle but it does not leak. I move the 1 1/4 copper pipe to the right about an 1 1/2 inches.

Attachments

• New plumbing.jpg
    New plumbing.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 890
Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
trap

It looks like you have room to solder on a 11/2" x 11/4" sweat marvel. That would make a much better connection and let you align everything.

I don't like the way you sweat that trap together with the copper pipe.

nibco_marvel_ring.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TonyBagadonutz

Electrician
Reaction score
plumber1 said:
11/2" x 11/4" sweat marvel. That would make a much better connection and let you align everything.

Not to hijack bmixon's post, but I have a situation that is worse that that - I will address it eventually.

What is a "marvel"? Pic please?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks