Advice appreciated on appropriate toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All modern toilets (with few exceptions) only drain part of the tank when you flush. If you insist on using more, you hold the handle down to drain the whole tank. This normally doesn't do anything more than waste water. You can call it dual flush, and some do, but draining the tank sort of violates the principle of low-flow, water saver. With any modern toilet, you fully depress the handle and immediately let go, and if it passed certification and you haven't modified anything, it uses the stated amount of water.

A true dual-flush toilet with decent specs will have either a shallower or narrower water spot than one that isn't. This is so that when you use the small flush, it can still evacuate the entire bowl - you don't want to just dilute what may be left, you want it gone. This is why retrofitting an old toilet with a dual-flush valve doesn't really work well - the bowl has more water in it, and the smaller amount allowed to get through on a flush isn't enough to fully empty the bowl, but it will dilute it considerably. Because a shallower water spot means a large deposit may not be covered, it can be smellier until it is flushed away. A deeper water spot can cover it, but then there's more opportunity to get skid marks along the way to it that may not wash off as well during the flush with the lower volume. There are tradeoffs you have to accept with a dual-flush toilet generally not needed with a good single flush one. Generally, the bowl will not stay as clean, depending on the consistency of your deposit and aim. On a Toto, SanaGlos helps, since it is quite smooth, stuff doesn't stick as much, and washes off easier. But, there is only so much a limited amount of water can do; unlike the old gully washers of old that might have used 5-8 gallons...

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I wouldn't be concerned about the washdown flush on the Aquia. Toto uses a washdown flush on all its dual-flush toilets, basically for the reason Jim mentions -- you want to be able to evacuate the whole bowl with the smaller amount of water. And you get good bowl rinse with it as well.

Duravit's dual-flush toilets, including their wall hungs, also use a washdown flush for the same reason. (The only thing about the Duravit washdown flush is that, in my experience, you never get that comforting gurgle at the end of the flush. On the Totos, at least the ones I have experienced firsthand, you usually do.)

JerryMR

Reaction score
Gotta have the gurgle. I think it's looking pretty likely we'll get the Aquia for the hall bath. It's really a shame the Maris is only available in white. We'll test out the Aquia before making decisions on the other two toilets. Thanks everyone for all the great info - truly helpful.

-Jerry

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The colors are harder to make, slight variances in glaze application show up much more than with white. WHen you are selling all you can in one color, adding others that are more time consuming and prone to rework or trashing is not a high priority right away. When the supply catches up with demand, the other choices start to show up.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Jim's right, of course. Looking back in the review threads in the mid-2000s, it's interesting to see reports there that such-and-such a toilet, like the original Drake, isn't available in such-and-such a color. Once a sufficient supply of a new product, like the Maris or the Drake II 1G, makes its way around the distribution system, and seems to be a winner, then it begins to be worth making variations of it.

As an example, the Drake II 1G has been available literally since November, in small batches, from the largest Toto wholesaler, but only recently found its way to the distributor that supplies Terry. Toto obviously doesn't want to start making variations until its loyal plumber-clients are well-supplied. The Maris is a little more of a niche product than the 1G, so I am not surprised that it is still finding its way around in white. I suspect that if it is a success, you'll see other colors down the line.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Given that you mentioned a concern about the toilet's ability to handle large stools, and only for that reason, I commend to you the following video linked to by one of our posters. It is an actual video of an Original Drake swallowing an apparently-real and certainly-large stool. It's not for the squeamish, because of the subject matter, and I hesitate to recommend it, but on the other hand it does appear to illustrate the device's ability to address your actual concern. The narration is juvenile, so you can flip it off if you wish.

The toilet at issue is not dual-flush, and it is 1.28gpf, not double-cyclone, just the straight E-Max flush. Powerful and effective, though...

Model CST744E

Last edited by a moderator:

JerryMR

Reaction score
We ended up getting the Aquia and have been using it for several weeks now. So far it's handled everything that's gone into it, and we're very happy. In fact, we ordered two more for the other two bathrooms. Thanks everyone for all the good advice and information.

-Jerry

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks for following up! It's great to hear what you decided and how you liked it.

Terry always says that he has sold hundreds and hundreds of Aquias, with only a couple of returns -- a better than 99% satisfaction rate.

I'm glad to know that you and your family are not only satisfied, but satisfied enough to buy two more. That pretty much says it all!

Thanks again for letting us know.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks