Recirculating loop versus Recirc pump for new construction

Users who are viewing this thread

danrudy

Reaction score
posted this elsehewhere...apologize for duplicate...But, I realize this may have been more appropriate area and am trying to get quick responses....thanks..

Hi All,

need a quick answer ....We are building a house here in south florida. Plumbing almost all done. We were planning to put a recirculating loop for hot water so we could have instant on hot water. The plumber on the job has suggested we put in a Grundfros Comfort System recric pump. Best, I can tell, it will not have a dedicated hot water loop but a valve will move the hot water into the cold water system to return the water to the pump at the heater. Thus, while we would only wait a few seconds for hot water. We would have the adverse effect of having warm water initially at the cold water taps (like when kids brush teeth) which will take a few seconds to cool. While I know the Grundfros can be set up on a timer I assume a dedicated recir loop can also have a timed pump so the notion that it needs to be on 24/7 is not a disadvantage. Is that a correct assumption?

This is a brand new construction....we can do either way. Any strong opinions of dedicated loop versus the integrated Grunfros type system. Obviously, I would like also do to what is more cost effective but also want to maximize the convenience of hot and cold water "instant on".
Is one system preferred to the other....is one better? Is one going to save me more money over time?

For the record, my GC prefers the dedicated pump and the plumber the Grundfros....it is my call.
Help!
Thanks
Dan

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Go with the dedicated line for the reasons you stated.

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks