Hand pump on steroids and I mean a lot of steroids

Users who are viewing this thread

Wellplunger

Reaction score
Well, for those that need more water from a hand pump there is one that may get to the market. I have not seen such a hand pump in my life! A hand pump on steroids and I mean a lot of steroids.

5, 10, 15, 20 + gallons a minute, just depends on who is operating it and the static water level.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/the-happy-homesteader/living-off-grid-a-home-made-deep-well-pump.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lHVc38T5lWc

http://www.wellwaterboy.com/id88.html

What do you think of this hand pump machine?

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Now if they would build one that worked upside down so you could work the legs............

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sounds like more hype than substance, sort of like the 200mpg carburetor, and a no-salt water softener. Pumping water has to conform to the laws of physics, so if you pump twice as much gpm, it will take at least twice as much energy. You can make the pump lever longer for more mechanical advantage, but then you have to move it over a longer distance. The "work" and energy expended is the same. Just keep an oxygen tank near the well if you need a lot of water, especially if you are then going to pump it UP to a storage tank. Oh, and the user is the one that needs the steroids, not the pump.

Wellplunger

Reaction score
sounds like more hype than substance, sort of like the 200mpg carburetor, and a no-salt water softener. Pumping water has to conform to the laws of physics, so if you pump twice as much gpm, it will take at least twice as much energy. You can make the pump lever longer for more mechanical advantage, but then you have to move it over a longer distance. The "work" and energy expended is the same. Just keep an oxygen tank near the well if you need a lot of water, especially if you are then going to pump it UP to a storage tank. Oh, and the user is the one that needs the steroids, not the pump.

A grandmother cannot pump five gallons of water in one minute from any hand pump on the market, but a healthy tall strong man can. However, in the video the grandmother is using a lot less energy to pump 5 gallons water in one minute than a healthy tall strong man uses in one minute from any hand pump on the market.

In the video, the handle appears to be around 4 feet long. If you extend the handle on any hand pump to 4 feet is you grandmother going to be able to pump 5 gallons in one minute? If yes, then why don't all hand pumps have a 4 foot handle?

In the video, the grandmother pumps the 5 gallons with 16 to 17 strokes. To get 5 gallons of water from typical hand pumps it takes 60 strokes of the handle. So what is that, more than 3 and a half to 1? So, there is a lot of substance here and no hype!

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
LOL! that'll make you appreciate your water. sugar coat it all you want but that thing will kick your butt in a very short time so pumping high gpm for any length of time is out unless you are planning to employ and rotate several "undocumented immigrants"... doubt they'd even want the job.

plenty of hype here. still trying to figure out why anyone might ever need more than a couple gpm from a manual pump. really all you need is a drink or maybe fill a bucket right?. my grandma would thirst to death with that contraption, but i bet she could get a drink from a hand pump.. along with my 2 yr old. i see it as one of those things thats kinda neat, but has few (if any) real uses. might make a descent smoker.

Last edited:

Wellplunger

Reaction score
LOL! that'll make you appreciate your water. sugar coat it all you want but that thing will kick your butt in a very short time so pumping high gpm for any length of time is out unless you are planning to employ and rotate several "undocumented immigrants"... doubt they'd even want the job.

plenty of hype here. still trying to figure out why anyone might ever need more than a couple gpm from a manual pump. really all you need is a drink or maybe fill a bucket right?. my grandma would thirst to death with that contraption, but i bet she could get a drink from a hand pump.. along with my 2 yr old. i see it as one of those things thats kinda neat, but has few (if any) real uses. might make a descent smoker.

Thanks for your comments,

Wellplunger

Reaction score
Well, a 50 something year old couple take turns filling a fifty five gallon drum non stop in 10 minutes.

[video=youtube;pOtY7NFwQ7Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pOtY7NFwQ7Q[/video]

I guess if the power went out and was out for awhile a hand pump like this would be nice to have around.

ShockHazard

Reaction score
Good for remote irrigation, or watering animals.

Bottom line, the amount of water will always be proportional to the amount of work put into it.
This device is just an efficient use of human shape and strenth.
Two people opperating a teeter-totter version could probably crank out a fields worth of water in a couple minutes.

Wellplunger

Reaction score
Good for remote irrigation, or watering animals.

Bottom line, the amount of water will always be proportional to the amount of work put into it.
This device is just an efficient use of human shape and strenth.
Two people opperating a teeter-totter version could probably crank out a fields worth of water in a couple minutes.

Oh, I agree, it would be good for irrigation, or watering animals.

That's a good point about it being an efficient use of human shape and strength. Never thought about it that way.

Thanks for the positive comment.

Wellplunger

Reaction score
The flow rate just keeps getting better for this hand pump. 14 plus gallons for a hand pump is not bad!

[video=youtube;TGkWzBSE9lY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=TGkWzBSE9lY[/video]

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
They should make a four-person version modeled after the railway cart and get the whole family in on it.

Handcar_Mar2004.jpg

Wellplunger

Reaction score

Hey just water,

These two young women had no problem pumping high volumes of water- 55 gallons in under 6 minutes.

[video=youtube;KlnyQXB9U-8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlnyQXB9U-8[/video]

As you can see they did not get their butt kicked, LOL!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks