(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Hand pump on steroids and I mean a lot of steroids

  1. #1
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default Hand pump on steroids and I mean a lot of steroids

    Well, for those that need more water from a hand pump there is one that may get to the market. I have not seen such a hand pump in my life! A hand pump on steroids and I mean a lot of steroids.

    5, 10, 15, 20 + gallons a minute, just depends on who is operating it and the static water level.

    http://www.motherearthnews.com/the-h...well-pump.aspx

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=lHVc38T5lWc

    http://www.wellwaterboy.com/id88.html

    What do you think of this hand pump machine?
    Last edited by Wellplunger; 01-28-2013 at 07:18 PM. Reason: link

  2. #2
    DIY Senior Member craigpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Cancel the gym membership

  3. #3
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    NW Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,679

    Default

    Does it freeze in the boonies?

  4. #4
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Cancel the gym membership
    I agree! Think about the money you will be saving and actually have more benefits from your workout.

  5. #5
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    Does it freeze in the boonies?
    Not like it does there. Jesus, it's cold there, but I bet your are warm cozy.

  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member craigpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Now if they would build one that worked upside down so you could work the legs............

  7. #7
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by craigpump View Post
    Now if they would build one that worked upside down so you could work the legs............
    looks like you could do squats, curls, triceps (sp) just set a chair there and see what you can do, lol!

    Do you install hand pumps?

  8. #8
    DIY Senior Member craigpump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    ct
    Posts
    710

    Default

    Me? Install hand pumps? Only had one request and they didn't like my price

  9. #9
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cave Creek, Arizona
    Posts
    25,633

    Default

    sounds like more hype than substance, sort of like the 200mpg carburetor, and a no-salt water softener. Pumping water has to conform to the laws of physics, so if you pump twice as much gpm, it will take at least twice as much energy. You can make the pump lever longer for more mechanical advantage, but then you have to move it over a longer distance. The "work" and energy expended is the same. Just keep an oxygen tank near the well if you need a lot of water, especially if you are then going to pump it UP to a storage tank. Oh, and the user is the one that needs the steroids, not the pump.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  10. #10
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    sounds like more hype than substance, sort of like the 200mpg carburetor, and a no-salt water softener. Pumping water has to conform to the laws of physics, so if you pump twice as much gpm, it will take at least twice as much energy. You can make the pump lever longer for more mechanical advantage, but then you have to move it over a longer distance. The "work" and energy expended is the same. Just keep an oxygen tank near the well if you need a lot of water, especially if you are then going to pump it UP to a storage tank. Oh, and the user is the one that needs the steroids, not the pump.
    A grandmother cannot pump five gallons of water in one minute from any hand pump on the market, but a healthy tall strong man can. However, in the video the grandmother is using a lot less energy to pump 5 gallons water in one minute than a healthy tall strong man uses in one minute from any hand pump on the market.

    In the video, the handle appears to be around 4 feet long. If you extend the handle on any hand pump to 4 feet is you grandmother going to be able to pump 5 gallons in one minute? If yes, then why don't all hand pumps have a 4 foot handle?

    In the video, the grandmother pumps the 5 gallons with 16 to 17 strokes. To get 5 gallons of water from typical hand pumps it takes 60 strokes of the handle. So what is that, more than 3 and a half to 1? So, there is a lot of substance here and no hype!
    Last edited by Wellplunger; 01-30-2013 at 10:19 AM.

  11. #11
    Well Drilling/Service justwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NE FL, SE GA
    Posts
    319

    Default

    LOL! that'll make you appreciate your water. sugar coat it all you want but that thing will kick your butt in a very short time so pumping high gpm for any length of time is out unless you are planning to employ and rotate several "undocumented immigrants"... doubt they'd even want the job.

    plenty of hype here. still trying to figure out why anyone might ever need more than a couple gpm from a manual pump. really all you need is a drink or maybe fill a bucket right?. my grandma would thirst to death with that contraption, but i bet she could get a drink from a hand pump.. along with my 2 yr old. i see it as one of those things thats kinda neat, but has few (if any) real uses. might make a descent smoker.
    Last edited by justwater; 01-30-2013 at 09:50 AM.

  12. #12
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justwater View Post
    LOL! that'll make you appreciate your water. sugar coat it all you want but that thing will kick your butt in a very short time so pumping high gpm for any length of time is out unless you are planning to employ and rotate several "undocumented immigrants"... doubt they'd even want the job.

    plenty of hype here. still trying to figure out why anyone might ever need more than a couple gpm from a manual pump. really all you need is a drink or maybe fill a bucket right?. my grandma would thirst to death with that contraption, but i bet she could get a drink from a hand pump.. along with my 2 yr old. i see it as one of those things thats kinda neat, but has few (if any) real uses. might make a descent smoker.
    Thanks for your comments,

  13. #13
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Well, a 50 something year old couple take turns filling a fifty five gallon drum non stop in 10 minutes.



    I guess if the power went out and was out for awhile a hand pump like this would be nice to have around.

  14. #14
    In the Trades dwindle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    North East Pennsylvania
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Good for remote irrigation, or watering animals.

    Bottom line, the amount of water will always be proportional to the amount of work put into it.
    This device is just an efficient use of human shape and strenth.
    Two people opperating a teeter-totter version could probably crank out a fields worth of water in a couple minutes.

  15. #15
    DIY Junior Member Wellplunger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    In the boonies in the USA
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dwindle View Post
    Good for remote irrigation, or watering animals.

    Bottom line, the amount of water will always be proportional to the amount of work put into it.
    This device is just an efficient use of human shape and strenth.
    Two people opperating a teeter-totter version could probably crank out a fields worth of water in a couple minutes.
    Oh, I agree, it would be good for irrigation, or watering animals.

    That's a good point about it being an efficient use of human shape and strength. Never thought about it that way.

    Thanks for the positive comment.

Similar Threads

  1. dug well, hand pump, old pipes...
    By rh9911 in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 06:26 PM
  2. Well with both hand pump and compressor?
    By 42piebabelfish in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 06:28 AM
  3. Hand pump for cistern
    By rcramp in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
  4. hand pump
    By bullheadpond in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 10:35 AM
  5. Old Hand Pump
    By LastMaxim in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2006, 01:16 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •