Testing Fleck 7000 flow meter advice?

Users who are viewing this thread

cartman13

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Fleck 7000 head about 1 year old. It's no longer registering flow which I gather either means it's a stuck turbine, bad cord, or bad circuit board.

I was wondering if the gurus here might have advice on how to isolate which is causing the issue w/o disconnecting the plumbing to reveal the turbine itself?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Easy to do.

Remove the sensor from the back of the valve on the outlet (attached to the end of the meter cable) and run a small magent up and down across the sensor, if the board shows water flow, it is a turbine issue. Depending on the age, water quality, and flow rates the meter regularly sees, the turbine can become worn. You can remove the turbine from the shaft and clean it carefully. An obstruction (gravel, debris, piece of wood etc) can cause the turbine to not spin under water flow as well.

The link in my signature shows you how to get to the meter.

cartman13

Reaction score
Thanks, I tried this with a bike spoke magnet and with a stronger rare earth magnet. None seemed to register.

Everything else works fine. When I feel the water turning hard and I manually set it to regenerate overnight it cycles and we have soft water again in the morning.

Question is do the sensors cables go bad?

Or will I need to replace the circuit board? I read steady 18v pos to neg on the meter plug and 12v neg to ground and only 6v positive to ground. (Not sure if that means anything).

Thanks again for the help.

Easy to do.

Remove the sensor from the back of the valve on the outlet (attached to the end of the meter cable) and run a small magent up and down across the sensor, if the board shows water flow, it is a turbine issue. Depending on the age, water quality, and flow rates the meter regularly sees, the turbine can become worn. You can remove the turbine from the shaft and clean it carefully. An obstruction (gravel, debris, piece of wood etc) can cause the turbine to not spin under water flow as well.

The link in my signature shows you how to get to the meter.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The sensor cables can go bad. It is more likely the cable than the board, or it could also be a programming issue. Do you have the valve programmed as a metered valve?

The cable is part # 19791-01, whoever you bought the system from should be able to get a new cable for you. I would replace that before I went to tthe control board.

cartman13

Reaction score
Really appreciate the help. Too bad they don't have a way to check the cable with a multimeter. The program is set to t1.0 for the flow meter. Oddly it doesn't have the t1.2 option that I see mentioned elsewhere. It's also set to use meter delayed cycle and shows the gallons left that never change like they used to. So pretty sure something pooped out either cable or board.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Reconnect the cable to the turbine and then push/pull the wires on the plug on the other end of the cable where it attaches to the circuit board. Run softened water in a tub as you do that and watch the screen. If it doesn't count down, pull that plug off the board and plug it back in a few times and see if that gets it to cont down.

cartman13

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

Thanks for the input but I think i'm missing something. This process doesn't seem to produce any different results (still not countdown and still no indication water is flowing) with water running.

I guess i'm confused if this is supposed to indicate the meter cord and sensor is bad or if control board is bad?

Reconnect the cable to the turbine and then push/pull the wires on the plug on the other end of the cable where it attaches to the circuit board. Run softened water in a tub as you do that and watch the screen. If it doesn't count down, pull that plug off the board and plug it back in a few times and see if that gets it to cont down.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you have removed the end of the cable that goes into the body where the turbin is as and waved a magnet closely over the end and there is no flashing of the water drop, and you have checked the connection at the board and it is clean and tight. Then I would first think that the sensor at the end of the cable has gone bad for what ever reason and first try and get a replacement for it and try it with a new one.
If the new one still will not light up the water drop then yes there is some thing wrong with the chip in the board that is responsible for reading the meter and the board will have to be replaced.

rccwalls

Reaction score
I also have a problem flowmeter not recording flow. Pulled turbine and it spins freely. Purchased new meter cable still no flow display when in operation. Waved magnet in front of end of meter cable removed from body. Numbers do display iradically when I wave the magnet. However no flow when in operation. Frustrating. Does all this mean bad board?

Bannerman

Reaction score
As you mentioned that when using a magnet, although the numbers displayed are erratic, I assume that the water drop icon is flashing in response to the magnet. As such, it seems that the board is recognizing the magnetic impulse so it would appear that the turbine may be defective even though mechanically, it is able to spin freely.

ditttohead

Reaction score
The new turbines have a sealed magnet. The older magnets were exposed so some buildup could occur and could cause erratic readings. Also check to make sure the flow is the correct direction. In reverse flow, the meter can get pushed off the bearing and will jam.

rccwalls

Reaction score
Yes, the water drop icon is flashing in response to the magnet. I also removed the turbine assembly from the unit and moved the magnet around the turbine. The turbine moved in a circular fashion with the magnet, which tells me that the turbine is magnetized. The turbine is clean and spins freely and is installed correctly. I also bought a new meter cable. The flowrate display is zero most of the time, but occasionally displays numbers that are incorrect. Can the problem still be with the turbine?

ditttohead

Reaction score
If it reads intermittently it is usually the turbine. The meter on the 7000 is one of the most accurate but it can suffer from wear that is hard to detect. Replace the turbine and you will probably be just fine. Be sure the meter is programmed correctly in Master Programming t1.2

rccwalls

Reaction score
If it reads intermittently it is usually the turbine. The meter on the 7000 is one of the most accurate but it can suffer from wear that is hard to detect. Replace the turbine and you will probably be just fine. Be sure the meter is programmed correctly in Master Programming t1.2
Yes, the new meter cable I installed appears correct as the model number CU19791-01 is taped to the cable and matches the model number in the manual. It rarely registers any flow (i.e. display is 0 gpm) when the unit is in service and water is being processed. As I have mentioned previously, a flowrate is displayed and the water icon flashes only when I move a magnet over the disconnected cable end. I'm still wondering what could be wrong with the turbine since when I move the magnet close to the removed turbine the turbine moves indicating the it is magnetized. So the consensus seems to be that the control board has to be OK and I need a new turbine?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Just use a long shank screwdriver. Put the tip on the flow sensor, and the handle in your ear, You can here it turning.

Or a Crank position tester with a strobe light will work.

Or call a pro with the proper tools.

Good Luck.

rccwalls

Reaction score
Just use a long shank screwdriver. Put the tip on the flow sensor, and the handle in your ear, You can here it turning.

Or a Crank position tester with a strobe light will work.

Or call a pro with the proper tools.

Good Luck.

So I purchased for $55 a new Fleck7000sxt turbine and installed. Still zero flow display (no water drop icon flashing). This is after replacing the meter cable with a new one. The only thing left to replace is the board. Does this make sense?

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So I purchased for $55 a new Fleck7000sxt turbine and installed. Still zero flow display (no water drop icon flashing). This is after replacing the meter cable with a new one. The only thing left to replace is the board. Does this make sense?

That is the way it normally works. The last part is the one that fixes it.

It is not in bypass is it ?

Good Luck.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks