Leaking Delta Faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

dj9281

Reaction score
Hello. After seeing about 4 online videos about how to fix a leaking faucet, I tried to tackle mine. Of course, it's not like any of the ones I saw on the videos (which were all basically the same configuration). I had great difficulty loosening the stem as there was nothing to grip with my pliers, then found it doesn't pop up out of the sink like all the others I saw. It goes back down under the sink and is hooked up nothing like anything I've seen before.

Could someone help me figure out how to fix this leaking faucet?

Stem2.jpg

Stem1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It was NOT necessary to remove the valve body from the sink. The replaceable cartridge is the part you see that is whie plastic with the brass stem rising out of it. The chrome nut which you removed holds it in place. Just grab the stem and give it a good yank.

dj9281

Reaction score
It was NOT necessary to remove the valve body from the sink. The replaceable cartridge is the part you see that is whie plastic with the brass stem rising out of it. The chrome nut which you removed holds it in place. Just grab the stem and give it a good yank.

This site did not notify me by email of your reply, so it's been a while now since I did this. I don't even remember how to put the valve body back into the sink. There was no apparent way to do anything else, so I did the only thing apparently possible to do. Give what a good yank? Then what?

dj9281

Reaction score
Once you have the "keeper" nut off, you can "yank" the stem out of there.

attachment.php

OK I got it out. See attached pics. Does this look normal? It almost looks like part of the white cartridge plastic is stuck inside the handle. I checked the washers on the cartridge. They look fine. Should I just replace the whole cartridge, and if so can I just get it at Home Depot?

Faucet1.jpg
Faucet2.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you NEED is the rubber "seat and spring" for a Delta faucet. If you aalso want to replace the "cartridge" you need a "quarter turn" version for lever handles and not everyplace sells them. If you use the conventional stem, it will rotate 180 degrees from off to fully on. Not a real problem, but can be disconcerting to someone used to it only rotating part way. AND, if you install the stem the wrong way, the handle will rotate backwards so you would have to take it apart and rotate the stem 180 degrees before putting it back in. You did a lot of "extra work" and should have asked for help sooner.

Last edited:

dj9281

Reaction score
What you NEED is the rubber "seat and spring" for a Delta faucet. If you aalso want to replace the "cartridge" you need a "quarter turn" version for lever handles and not everyplace sells them. If you use the conventional stem, it will rotate 180 degrees from off to fully on. Not a real problem, but can be disconcerting to someone used to it only rotating part way. AND, if you install the stem the wrong way, the handle will rotate backwards so you would have to take it apart and rotate the stem 180 degrees before putting it back in. You did a lot of "extra work" and should have asked for help sooner.

You don't learn unless you try. I did what made sense based on what was before me and what I had learned online. And I didn't need a plumber, so I've saved at least $100 in labor alone.

So, the leaking isn't caused by the washers, which appear in perfectly good condition? I'm looking for the easiest fix. I don't care if I have to spend a few extra bucks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IOf it was leaking from the spout, the washer that is still inside the body, along with its conical spring, are what you have to replace, NOT the washers on the stem cartridge. They just stop it from leaking at the handle.

dj9281

Reaction score
Please confirm this is what I need. There is also a kit that includes "Quad Rings" if that makes sense to get for future needs.

Clipboard01.jpg

dj9281

Reaction score
Got it. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks