Pressure assisted toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mar3232

Reaction score
I'm going to build a bath about 20 feet away from my main septic line and at best the entire run will be level without any slope. I was loking at the "bathroom anywhere" macerating system but I sure can do without spending 800 bucks right now.

What is a pressure assisted toilet?

Are there ANY lower cost options where I can get this toilet to flush?

If I do do a 1/4" per foot slope, it would put the pipe about 5 or 6" below the main drain.

THANKS.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Unless you can defeat the laws of gravity, a level drain will not work. A pressure assist toilet uses the house water pressure to build up pressure in a tank that is in the toilet's tank. It's purpose is to blast the crap out of the toilet into the drain. The drain is NOT pressurized. A pressure assisted toilet is a gimmick that some manufacturers use to make a poorly designed toilet flush. They make an explosive sound when flushing, tend to shred the paper in the bowl which then remains in the bowl. Toto does not make a pressure assisted toilet because their toilets are designed to function without trickery. That point aside, you have to have a 1/4" per foot fall. I do not know enough about the macerating toilets to comment.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
A macerating toilet is like a garbage disposer for sewage...it chops up the waste and pumps it TO a drain line. They are use when a toilet must be installed below the drain line. BUT...once the waste enters the drain, it is not pressurized and the drain must be sloped. You would have to check with the toilet mfg. to see if you can pump 20 feet to a main drain. A level drain will be clogged before I finish typing this response! A pressure assisted toilet will be of no help.

Mar3232

Reaction score
ok thanks -- a macerating system is all I can do then -- they claim 18' to pump straight up and 100' horizontal with this "bathroom anywhere". hard to believe the discharge is only 1 1/4" though. 800 bucks, here I come.

Mar3232

Reaction score
let me ask something else because I may be able to do a 5" drop -- when you tie into a 4" copper drain (that's what I have), when you have to go in from the side, do you use a 45 degree (and have it shoot toward the septic)? I assume that when you use a 90 degree tee, you should always have it drain from the top down.

I think I can get a 5" slope but it would hit the side of the pipe not be above it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Horizontal to horizontal must be a wye fitting.
Horizontal to verticle "may" be a santee.

There is 5 inches of drop in 20 feet.
You could also consider using a wall mount bowl.

Mar3232

Reaction score
Hey Terry, that's a thought.

let me ask you this -- what if your initial drop is a damn good one, like you say a wall mount BUT I can also raise my floor "whatever", I'm building a whole new bath from scratch in a garage area, need to build a raised floor anyway.

so, if my drop from the wall mount toilet is say 2 feet or so and I do a straight shot to the pipe, does that allow me to knock off a little bit on the slope? actually the run will be around 17 feet.

Mar3232

Reaction score
do you mean a toilet that has the outlet on the back? i just googled and actually saw "wall mounted" toilets -- ? weird.

the rear outlet toilets are the ones you're supposed to use with these macerating systems (according to the customer service guy) don't know why, if I use a macerator, I can't build a raised floor and a bottom flush toilet but they say I can't. ?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks