old faucet handles

Users who are viewing this thread

reyn

Reaction score
Hi.
I'm confused on how to remove these handles. I would like to replace them if I can.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks. old faucet handles.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The index buttons..."h", "c", etc remove and there is a handle screw. THe buttons probably pry off with a butter knife. If they don't pop right out, they might unscrew, but yours look like they will pop off.

With any luck, the screw will the come out OK. You may need then a handle puller to remove the handle.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Those handles are probably chrome plated bronze, and you will not be likely to find another handle of that quality. Polishing might be a good option.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, there are companies that will clean and replate those to better than new condition, but, I'd seriously consider replacing with a modern valve. Depending on their workload, it may only take a few days. I think the money would be better spent elsewhere, but it's your house.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I have what appear to be the same faucets, and the center button (H and C) unscrew. There is a phillips head set screw behind the button. I was able to remove the screw and work the handles off the splined shaft. After removing the screw I was trying to work the handle off the shaft and thought they would never come off, and then the handle suddenly broke loose.

Bruce

J

judyfholmes

Handle suddenly broke? Now will you be able to fix another handle over there? A plumber might do the job well here but since you tried, may be it didn't turned out quiet well. Or did it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Normally, the handle would "not suddenly break", but the stem's end WOULD snap off if you were trying to remove the handle incorrectly. Those appear to be American Standard handles and if so, the screw "caps" unscrew to give access to the handle screws underneath them.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
I have to be more careful about my wording. When the handle "broke loose" it slipped off the splines, which is exactly what I wanted it to do. Nothing broke on the fixture.

My point was that the handle is a friction fit on the splines and it may not come off easily even after you remove the set screw.

Bruce

shrews1

Reaction score
i have got the same set except not the middle one- the hot side has a leak- rather a "run" a very fast leak! I think all i need is a new seat or something but once i get handle off- how do i get wall plate off ? any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks