2 Sump Pits?

Users who are viewing this thread

rick1970

Reaction score
My home is 9yrs old and I think my sump pump pressure switch is going bad. The pump is running more frequently and for longer priods of time. The pit is dry and the pump continues to run for a minute or so. I think I am just going to replace the pump. Is a pressure switch or a mechanical float switch more reliable? My home also has two sump pits. The drain tile drain in one pit and then there is a overflow pit. My main sump pump is located in the overflow pit. Is this correct? I always thought the sump should be in the main pit and the overflow pit was for a backup pump. Hooked-up this way the drain tile are always full of water. Correct? Should I move the sump pump to the other pit?
Thank You
Rick :confused:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
A float switch that is not integrated with (built into) the pump is the best because you can test it and change it easily. They often have a special plug that you plug into an outlet and have a place on the back for plugging in the pump.

If the switch on the pump is bad, I would get one of the separate float switches as described above. You may have to put a cord on your pump, or you can wire the float switch in directly. If you want to wire it directly, just cut off the plug if it comes with one.

Make sure you get a switch that is made for "Pump out" or "Normally open" applications, and has capacity to run the motor. It should be marked with "horsepower", or at least 10 Amps. It should not be marked "signal duty only" or Pilot duty only".

I would put the sump pump in the lowest pit that collects all the water. The sump pump may be in the "overflow pit" so that any dirt that comes in with via the drain tile will collect in the first pit before it flows to the pump pit. You can best judge which arrangement is best for pumping the water.

firebob

Reaction score
I would get a submersible “Trash†pump for the lowest put. Something that can handle dirt and junk up to 1/4 to 1/2 inch. I would put it in the lowest pit. I would go with a float switch as bob said.

But if you do this you need to know what the bottom of the pit is made of. Is it gravel or is it concrete. If it is gravel you should mount it on a peace of sheet metal with about 1/2 inch sticking out all around the bottom of the pump. This will help keep the gravel from slowly being pumped out of the pit.

I have one sump pump pit and one sump pump. I got a 3/4 horse power pump from lows (the float switch is built in to the pump but I ordered bypass kit for it but never installed it). Then I would use the one as Bob was talking about. I have gravel in the bottom of my pit because of the footer setup. I have it set up as described above.

I have this pump but I got the next size up http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=53117-000000335-R5S-1&lpage=none

I would order an extra float switch when you get it. I have had my pump for 3 years with no problems and I have only cleaned out the pit a few times.

Firebob

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks