(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Delta Prelude Toilets at Home Depot

Follow up on the Delta toilet after about 1 month - The flush has been fantastic with very good bowl cleaning and so far I'm very satisfied. The only thing I did not like was the seat which I replaced. Home Depot has now lowered the price to $169 for this model.

I noticed the Delta toilets at HD. It looks like the two tubes on the outside of the bowl that feed the priming jet are different sizes. I've seen one tube or duel tubes the same size, but never different size tubes. Do you know what that's about?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitlow View Post
    Home Depot has now lowered the price to $169 for this model.
    That's not a good sign vis-a-vis how it's selling, particularly considering that they give you a lot of stuff in the box.

It's also not a great thing that significant parts (like the unique flapper for both toilets and the fill valve for the Corrente) remain out of stock on HD online, the only retail source for them. The fill valve for the Prelude is available, but that's less important since it is essentially generic, you can replace it with a Korky 528 MaxPerformance or other modern adjustable fill valve. The other parts you can't.)

This appears to me to be what we generically call a "builders special". In other words a cheap toilet that builders can put in spec houses and the type that many plumber make a pretty good living replacing after the new owner has been in the house for 2 or 3 months and has grown tired of the poor performance. Uninformed homeowners are often temped to buy these at the box store because the are cheap and to the uninformed, toilets are all the same. The really sad thing is, a basic Toto Drake costs only a little more.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    That's not a good sign vis-a-vis how it's selling, particularly considering that they give you a lot of stuff in the box.

It's also not a great thing that significant parts (like the unique flapper for both toilets and the fill valve for the Corrente) remain out of stock on HD online, the only retail source for them. The fill valve for the Prelude is available, but that's less important since it is essentially generic, you can replace it with a Korky 528 MaxPerformance or other modern adjustable fill valve. The other parts you can't.)
    Delta seems to be standing behind them because a friend of mine recently bought two of these and had a problem with the clip to the lever for the flapper chain hanging which I think he could have easily fixed, but he called Delta. Delta sent him the entire replacement assembly with flapper and the tube, etc. it sits on. I think Delta is just trying to get into the toilet market thus the low cost, but they seem to be standing behind their product so far.

As far as parts go at home depots website they have several of the parts online:
    flapper - http://tinyurl.com/bfxvvon
    fill valve - http://tinyurl.com/av4a6gq
    toilet tank bracket - http://tinyurl.com/ar5b5ve

I think it's a safe bet that Delta will stand behind the product: that's their reputation. How long they continue in the market is another question, but they're a company that I like, so I wish them luck at that price point. If someone is going to buy their toilet at the Big Box, I would just as soon see this manufacturer get the business as any other that sells there, assuming that they make a decent product.

The problem with the parts is that when you go to the HD web site, they appear to be available, then when you click on the part it shows "Out of stock online", and online is the only place you can get the parts, other than the manufacturer.

Well it definitely looks unique i have to say, I would be a tad bit worried over repair parts because this looks like a whole new style. Would like to here how it works
    Last edited by Cameron Fields; 03-05-2013 at 06:18 PM.

@SAMC - "I noticed the Delta toilets at HD. It looks like the two tubes on the outside of the bowl that feed the priming jet are different sizes. I've seen one tube or duel tubes the same size, but never different size tubes. Do you know what that's about?"

I don't know, but I will say it flushes well. I haven't had to use a plunger or clean the bowl at all yet.

Delta seems to be standing behind them because a friend of mine recently bought two of these and had a problem with the clip to the lever for the flapper chain hanging which I think he could have easily fixed, but he called Delta. Delta sent him the entire replacement assembly with flapper and the tube, etc. it sits on. I think Delta is just trying to get into the toilet market thus the low cost, but they seem to be standing behind their product so far.

As far as parts go at home depots website they have several of the parts online:
    flapper - http://tinyurl.com/bfxvvon
    fill valve - http://tinyurl.com/av4a6gq
    toilet tank bracket - http://tinyurl.com/ar5b5ve
    I was wrong that is not the fill valve for the Corrente. It is listed as $64 on the Delta website!
    Well I maybe sorry one day when I have to buy a fill valve or other parts and if they quit making these toilets, but as long as it lasts many years I deem that as acceptable. Before I bought this toilet I bought a cheap Home Depot brand 1.6 gallon on sale for $50 for the kids bathroom and it was the best flushing toilet I had before getting the Delta. I've got one more ~3.0+ gallon Gerber to get rid of and I'd really like to replace the round bowl home depot toilet for no other reason than I hate the round bowl.

The fact that this thread has been going on since late January and Terry hasn't bothered to comment on it tells me all I need to know about this toilet....!!

Hi Guys, new to this post. After doing a lot of reading on toilets it seems like you all know what you're talking about.

I need to buy a new toilet, maybe 3 total in the near future, I currently have Mansfields and the kids are constantly clogging them up. I was looking at the Kohler Cimarron but the flush videos I saw and the complaints changed my mind. Then I was looking at the AS Cadet 3 but after reading your thoughts that the factory possibly moved to Mexico and the quality has gone down I changed my mind again. Then I was looking at the newer Delta Prelude but it sounds like the verdict is still out on this model. I would like to get a Toto Drake model, but I have small bathrooms and I would like to get a comfort height seat and Toto Drake models seem to only offer the comfort height seat in the elongated models.

So....I have a few questions,
    1) Are there any more thoughts on the Delta Prelude. Has anyone tried one out for a period of time? Are the parts yet available on HD website?
    2) Am I correct on the Toto info? I also read that the Toto's elongated are 28" deep on this site, but the specs I have read show the Drake models at 28.75" or 29" inches, which is correct?
    3) Is it worth buying the AS Cadet 3 with the possibility of replacing parts soon after buying?
    4) Do you have any other suggestions that might work for me?

Thanks for all your help from reading on this site, by far the best info that I've found, and I've been doing a lot of research.

Okay, a couple of thoughts. You are correct that the Original Drake, CST743S (round 1.6) CST743E (round 1.28gpf) CST744S (elongated 1.6) and CST744E (elongated 1.28) only come in ADA height on the elongated bowl, not the round. The ADA Height original Drake is going to be model number CST744SL (elongated 1.6) or CST744EL (elongated 1.28). The bowl part is the same, the gallonage per flush just depends on the guts in the tank, so you have an E tank and an S tank for the different gallonages. The E works fine, and saves money. But you should feel comfortable just seeking the best deal.

And the Original Drake is a great value -- amazing flush, decent bowl cleaning, high quality porcelain, low defect rate.

There's also a new-style 1.28 tank available for a little more money. Here's a photo: CST744ELN is the model. "N" for "new tank". http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail...productid=1276 (Toto doesn't have a spec sheet for the ELN up on the web site; just the parts list.)

Unless you have a door that's going to get in the way, I'm here to tell you from experience that you should measure out where the bowl will protrude to and if you think it will fit and you can fit past it that you will be happier with that elongated bowl. I put a round in a small bathroom to save the space and I realized that I should have just put in the elongated, which I put in a different bathroom. You sit in the same spot; you just have the comfort of a little more toilet in front of you.

On the specs, the best way is to go to the totousa.com web site and look. The newest spec sheet will always be on that site; other vendors don't always (or ever) update the sheet they are displaying, so that's the best place to start. Here's the link to the current spec sheet on the ADA version: http://www.totousa.com/Portals/0/Pro...4_CST744EL.pdf As you can see, it's 28" from front to back. Then there is 1.25 inches behind the tank when mounted on a (standard) 12" rough-in. So 29.25 inches from the finished wall (not the baseboard) if the centerline of the flange is exactly 12" from the finished wall (not the baseboard).

On your other questions, it does look like the Delta parts are available on the HD web site. The fill valve for the Corrente and the Prelude are both available online at the HD web site. The Prelude one is a Fluidmaster that you could probably replace with a Korky 528MP, the Corrente one is a unique one for $39. The flapper is also available online from HD; it's a unique size so you can't use a Korky.

I would pass on the Cadet 3; there's just no real reason to buy it and we still see complaints about quality control. Even recently, a guy who was buying AS toilets had to take one out because the rim holes hadn't properly been drilled/formed, which he didn't discover until he realized that it wasn't flushing right. I have never ever heard of that happening with a Toto.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 11-03-2013 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks for your help, I had to buy the Delta Prelude because of the shower door being to close to the toilet. That 1 extra inch on the Toto would have hit the toilet. I'll let you know how it worked out after it is installed.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB25 View Post
    Thanks for your help, I had to buy the Delta Prelude because of the shower door being to close to the toilet. That 1 extra inch on the Toto would have hit the toilet. I'll let you know how it worked out after it is installed.
    Great! Let us know how it goes when it is installed.

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

Yea I looked at closer and it is open at the top there is gap there just below where the filler tube connects. It's hard to see in the picture and I actually had to check it with my hard to tell.

Yea the Delta Prelude maybe a better choice if your worried about replacing this filler/float system because it appears to just use a standard one. I just thought the Corrente looks nicer and yea it did come with a kit (sponge, small blanket, plastic scrapper...) and I didn't have to buy a supply line saving about $10.

I think the only thing where they missed is with the seat. They tried making a good seat on this one that was easy off mechanism, but it is too wobbly moving too much. I'd been happy to pay another $10-$20 for a better slow close seat.

Oh by the way it seems to flush well too, but lets see how it does over time.

How's about you should have stuck with the Kohler or the TOTO in the first place. At least they use basic toilet tank repair parts instead of this Chinese delta junk. I prefer Kohler or TOTO but I have never seen a Delta toilet in action as I am usually using a TOTO which is in my house. But then again, some fill valves will last awhile, the TOTO Drake in the basement, has it's original fill valve from 2005. But the flapper is probably going to get ready to go soon. some pieces are falling off but no leaks.
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!