New Delta Prelude Toilets at Home Depot

Users who are viewing this thread

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I think it's a safe bet that Delta will stand behind the product: that's their reputation. How long they continue in the market is another question, but they're a company that I like, so I wish them luck at that price point. If someone is going to buy their toilet at the Big Box, I would just as soon see this manufacturer get the business as any other that sells there, assuming that they make a decent product.

The problem with the parts is that when you go to the HD web site, they appear to be available, then when you click on the part it shows "Out of stock online", and online is the only place you can get the parts, other than the manufacturer.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Well it definitely looks unique i have to say, I would be a tad bit worried over repair parts because this looks like a whole new style. Would like to here how it works

Last edited:

Whitlow

Reaction score
@SAMC - "I noticed the Delta toilets at HD. It looks like the two tubes on the outside of the bowl that feed the priming jet are different sizes. I've seen one tube or duel tubes the same size, but never different size tubes. Do you know what that's about?"

I don't know, but I will say it flushes well. I haven't had to use a plunger or clean the bowl at all yet.

Whitlow

Reaction score
Delta seems to be standing behind them because a friend of mine recently bought two of these and had a problem with the clip to the lever for the flapper chain hanging which I think he could have easily fixed, but he called Delta. Delta sent him the entire replacement assembly with flapper and the tube, etc. it sits on. I think Delta is just trying to get into the toilet market thus the low cost, but they seem to be standing behind their product so far.

As far as parts go at home depots website they have several of the parts online:
flapper - http://tinyurl.com/bfxvvon
fill valve - http://tinyurl.com/av4a6gq
toilet tank bracket - http://tinyurl.com/ar5b5ve

I was wrong that is not the fill valve for the Corrente. It is listed as $64 on the Delta website!
Well I maybe sorry one day when I have to buy a fill valve or other parts and if they quit making these toilets, but as long as it lasts many years I deem that as acceptable. Before I bought this toilet I bought a cheap Home Depot brand 1.6 gallon on sale for $50 for the kids bathroom and it was the best flushing toilet I had before getting the Delta. I've got one more ~3.0+ gallon Gerber to get rid of and I'd really like to replace the round bowl home depot toilet for no other reason than I hate the round bowl.

Donn2390

Reaction score
The fact that this thread has been going on since late January and Terry hasn't bothered to comment on it tells me all I need to know about this toilet....!!

GaryB25

Reaction score
Hi Guys, new to this post. After doing a lot of reading on toilets it seems like you all know what you're talking about.

I need to buy a new toilet, maybe 3 total in the near future, I currently have Mansfields and the kids are constantly clogging them up. I was looking at the Kohler Cimarron but the flush videos I saw and the complaints changed my mind. Then I was looking at the AS Cadet 3 but after reading your thoughts that the factory possibly moved to Mexico and the quality has gone down I changed my mind again. Then I was looking at the newer Delta Prelude but it sounds like the verdict is still out on this model. I would like to get a Toto Drake model, but I have small bathrooms and I would like to get a comfort height seat and Toto Drake models seem to only offer the comfort height seat in the elongated models.

So....I have a few questions,
1) Are there any more thoughts on the Delta Prelude. Has anyone tried one out for a period of time? Are the parts yet available on HD website?
2) Am I correct on the Toto info? I also read that the Toto's elongated are 28" deep on this site, but the specs I have read show the Drake models at 28.75" or 29" inches, which is correct?
3) Is it worth buying the AS Cadet 3 with the possibility of replacing parts soon after buying?
4) Do you have any other suggestions that might work for me?

Thanks for all your help from reading on this site, by far the best info that I've found, and I've been doing a lot of research.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Okay, a couple of thoughts. You are correct that the Original Drake, CST743S (round 1.6) CST743E (round 1.28gpf) CST744S (elongated 1.6) and CST744E (elongated 1.28) only come in ADA height on the elongated bowl, not the round. The ADA Height original Drake is going to be model number CST744SL (elongated 1.6) or CST744EL (elongated 1.28). The bowl part is the same, the gallonage per flush just depends on the guts in the tank, so you have an E tank and an S tank for the different gallonages. The E works fine, and saves money. But you should feel comfortable just seeking the best deal.

And the Original Drake is a great value -- amazing flush, decent bowl cleaning, high quality porcelain, low defect rate.

There's also a new-style 1.28 tank available for a little more money. Here's a photo: CST744ELN is the model. "N" for "new tank". http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productid=1276 (Toto doesn't have a spec sheet for the ELN up on the web site; just the parts list.)

Unless you have a door that's going to get in the way, I'm here to tell you from experience that you should measure out where the bowl will protrude to and if you think it will fit and you can fit past it that you will be happier with that elongated bowl. I put a round in a small bathroom to save the space and I realized that I should have just put in the elongated, which I put in a different bathroom. You sit in the same spot; you just have the comfort of a little more toilet in front of you.

On the specs, the best way is to go to the totousa.com web site and look. The newest spec sheet will always be on that site; other vendors don't always (or ever) update the sheet they are displaying, so that's the best place to start. Here's the link to the current spec sheet on the ADA version: As you can see, it's 28" from front to back. Then there is 1.25 inches behind the tank when mounted on a (standard) 12" rough-in. So 29.25 inches from the finished wall (not the baseboard) if the centerline of the flange is exactly 12" from the finished wall (not the baseboard).

On your other questions, it does look like the Delta parts are available on the HD web site. The fill valve for the Corrente and the Prelude are both available online at the HD web site. The Prelude one is a Fluidmaster that you could probably replace with a Korky 528MP, the Corrente one is a unique one for $39. The flapper is also available online from HD; it's a unique size so you can't use a Korky.

I would pass on the Cadet 3; there's just no real reason to buy it and we still see complaints about quality control. Even recently, a guy who was buying AS toilets had to take one out because the rim holes hadn't properly been drilled/formed, which he didn't discover until he realized that it wasn't flushing right. I have never ever heard of that happening with a Toto.

Last edited by a moderator:

GaryB25

Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I had to buy the Delta Prelude because of the shower door being to close to the toilet. That 1 extra inch on the Toto would have hit the toilet. I'll let you know how it worked out after it is installed.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thanks for your help, I had to buy the Delta Prelude because of the shower door being to close to the toilet. That 1 extra inch on the Toto would have hit the toilet. I'll let you know how it worked out after it is installed.

Great! Let us know how it goes when it is installed.

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Yea I looked at closer and it is open at the top there is gap there just below where the filler tube connects. It's hard to see in the picture and I actually had to check it with my hard to tell.

Yea the Delta Prelude maybe a better choice if your worried about replacing this filler/float system because it appears to just use a standard one. I just thought the Corrente looks nicer and yea it did come with a kit (sponge, small blanket, plastic scrapper...) and I didn't have to buy a supply line saving about $10.

I think the only thing where they missed is with the seat. They tried making a good seat on this one that was easy off mechanism, but it is too wobbly moving too much. I'd been happy to pay another $10-$20 for a better slow close seat.

Oh by the way it seems to flush well too, but lets see how it does over time.

How's about you should have stuck with the Kohler or the TOTO in the first place. At least they use basic toilet tank repair parts instead of this Chinese delta junk. I prefer Kohler or TOTO but I have never seen a Delta toilet in action as I am usually using a TOTO which is in my house. But then again, some fill valves will last awhile, the TOTO Drake in the basement, has it's original fill valve from 2005. But the flapper is probably going to get ready to go soon. some pieces are falling off but no leaks.

Starwarsith88

Reporter
Reaction score
Hi Guys, new to this post. After doing a lot of reading on toilets it seems like you all know what you're talking about.

I need to buy a new toilet, maybe 3 total in the near future, I currently have Mansfields and the kids are constantly clogging them up. I was looking at the Kohler Cimarron but the flush videos I saw and the complaints changed my mind. Then I was looking at the AS Cadet 3 but after reading your thoughts that the factory possibly moved to Mexico and the quality has gone down I changed my mind again. Then I was looking at the newer Delta Prelude but it sounds like the verdict is still out on this model. I would like to get a Toto Drake model, but I have small bathrooms and I would like to get a comfort height seat and Toto Drake models seem to only offer the comfort height seat in the elongated models.

So....I have a few questions,
1) Are there any more thoughts on the Delta Prelude. Has anyone tried one out for a period of time? Are the parts yet available on HD website?
2) Am I correct on the Toto info? I also read that the Toto's elongated are 28" deep on this site, but the specs I have read show the Drake models at 28.75" or 29" inches, which is correct?
3) Is it worth buying the AS Cadet 3 with the possibility of replacing parts soon after buying?
4) Do you have any other suggestions that might work for me?

Thanks for all your help from reading on this site, by far the best info that I've found, and I've been doing a lot of research.

Actually, my grandparents have a kohler cimarron class 5 and we love it! It flushes great!!! And the cimarrons from 2011+ were made better to wash the bowl. Also, the cadet 3 is ok but the quality control is horrible. Both TOTO and Kohler are good.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
delta_prelude_3.jpg

Delta Prelude. Single and dual flush

GaryB25

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
It has been a few months now that I have been using the Delta and I am fairly happy with it.
The good:
Powerfull flushing, seems to be able to handle quite a bit without clogging.

Refills the tank extreamly fast.

It is not a dual flush toilet but does use less water if you push the handle quickly for lighter loads and full tank flush if you hold the handle down all the way for 1 second for larger loads.

It did pass the pepper and paprika test, nothing remained.

It looks stylish and cleans easily.

Couldn't beat the price at $139.00

The bad:
We had trouble leveling the tank. the "new style " metal flange ment for easy installation would bend out of shape when trying to level the tank. When we called Delta they asked us if the flange was installed upside down at the factory, which sometimes happens, but that was not the case with my unit. They suggested that we return the unit for another one. Instead we put a shim between the tank and the bowl and it leveled out fine.

Even though it passed the pepper and paprika tests it doesn't always clean the bowl fully. The very back area can sometimes stay soiled even after a couple of flushes. ( I seem to do that to toilets).

All that said I am fairly happy with the unit, I would rather of had a Toto but the price was too high for me and the size of the Toto was a little to tight for my installation.
Thanks again for all the help that I found on this website and I have told friends about this site also

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I am happy to read your update. It's good to know a real-world experience with this toilet. Thanks again!

KeithW

Reaction score
I just purchased this toilet recently as well. From a post earlier in this thread it sounded like it used a standard fill valve and only the flapper was "unique". However after looking in the toilet (I am no expert) I'm wondering if any parts are generic/easily replaceable. Below is a link to the parts page from Delta. If the fill valve was to go am I able to replace with a universal replacement?

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/repairparts/c43901-wh.html?fromDetails=true

As for the toilet itself it seems quite good so far. We were replacing a really really old toilet (Lamosa Atlas?) and this one flushes better with less than half the water.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I just purchased this toilet recently as well. From a post earlier in this thread it sounded like it used a standard fill valve and only the flapper was "unique". However after looking in the toilet (I am no expert) I'm wondering if any parts are generic/easily replaceable. Below is a link to the parts page from Delta. If the fill valve was to go am I able to replace with a universal replacement?

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/repairparts/c43901-wh.html?fromDetails=true

As for the toilet itself it seems quite good so far. We were replacing a really really old toilet (Lamosa Atlas?) and this one flushes better with less than half the water.

One of the Delta toilets uses a standard fill valve. Others use a completely-unique, Delta-only fill valve available only from HD, and only online. So...when that toilet owner's fill valve finally quits 5 or more years from now, one better hope that Delta still stocks them...

It looks from your list, however, that your toilet uses a standard fill valve. You can replace it with a Korky 528MP.

Last edited:

KeithW

Reaction score
One of the Delta toilets uses a standard fill valve. Others use a completely-unique, Delta-only fill valve available only from HD, and only online. So...when that toilet owner's fill valve finally quits 5 or more years from now, one better hope that Delta still stocks them...

It looks from your list, however, that your toilet uses a standard fill valve. You can replace it with a Korky 528MP.

Thats good news... so the only "unique" part is the flapper... I'm tempted to actually just order one to have it on-hand just in case. On the flip side though I'm not sure I'll still be living in this house 5 years from now ;)

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Thats good news... so the only "unique" part is the flapper... I'm tempted to actually just order one to have it on-hand just in case. On the flip side though I'm not sure I'll still be living in this house 5 years from now ;)

It's a 3" fllush valve. It's a an allegedly-3-3/4"-flapper, but I don't know what that means. I would be curious whether the Korky Large 3" Adjustable Toilet flapper, model 3060BP, would fit and would adjust to the proper water-dispensation level. http://www.korky.com/Flapper3060BP.html

Whitlow

Reaction score
I've had the Delta for over a year now and am happy with it.

Hi Guys,
It has been a few months now that I have been using the Delta and I am fairly happy with it.
The good:
Powerfull flushing, seems to be able to handle quite a bit without clogging.

Refills the tank extreamly fast.

It is not a dual flush toilet but does use less water if you push the handle quickly for lighter loads and full tank flush if you hold the handle down all the way for 1 second for larger loads.

It did pass the pepper and paprika test, nothing remained.

It looks stylish and cleans easily.

Couldn't beat the price at $139.00

The bad:
We had trouble leveling the tank. the "new style " metal flange ment for easy installation would bend out of shape when trying to level the tank. When we called Delta they asked us if the flange was installed upside down at the factory, which sometimes happens, but that was not the case with my unit. They suggested that we return the unit for another one. Instead we put a shim between the tank and the bowl and it leveled out fine.

Even though it passed the pepper and paprika tests it doesn't always clean the bowl fully. The very back area can sometimes stay soiled even after a couple of flushes. ( I seem to do that to toilets).

All that said I am fairly happy with the unit, I would rather of had a Toto but the price was too high for me and the size of the Toto was a little to tight for my installation.
Thanks again for all the help that I found on this website and I have told friends about this site also

I haven't been back on here in a while, but I've been happy with the Delta Corrente for over a year now. The only issue has been with the installer...me :)
The Corrente just looks better than the other Delta Toilets to me except now they have the new Riosa which I'm not sure how you would install the bolts to the floor on that one?
http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/c43906-wh.html
As far as parts go I think eventually if not already will be able to buy flappers that work at home depot, but the refill pump is unique.
I've notice the new kohler's have copied the easy tank install with the ring that doesn't require the bolt through the tank.
The only thing I noticed on the Delta. Is that it is easy to over tighten and it is best to tighten like lug nuts on a car tire rotating between the bolts and watch to see if the metal tank flange starts to bend it's time to stop.
Things I learned:
1) Use the largest wax you can use otherwise if the seal is not good you will smell the odor even if it does not leak.
1) Don't over tighten the toilet to the floor you'll break the plastic flange and then have to install a metal repair flange.
2) If you don't level the toilet it will walk around and become loose so use pennies or plastic leveling shims. You can push them far enough back and caulk over them.
3) Caulk it so it does not move and to cover the shims.

BTW - I've also noticed that they now are selling Kohler and American standard at Costco allow with their brand.
I also noticed a special on the Toto Drake, but it appears to be the model without the CEFIONTECT finish. Is that one of the better Toto's or are all Toto's excellent ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks