(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Delta Prelude Toilets at Home Depot

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB25 View Post
    Hi Guys, new to this post. After doing a lot of reading on toilets it seems like you all know what you're talking about.

I need to buy a new toilet, maybe 3 total in the near future, I currently have Mansfields and the kids are constantly clogging them up. I was looking at the Kohler Cimarron but the flush videos I saw and the complaints changed my mind. Then I was looking at the AS Cadet 3 but after reading your thoughts that the factory possibly moved to Mexico and the quality has gone down I changed my mind again. Then I was looking at the newer Delta Prelude but it sounds like the verdict is still out on this model. I would like to get a Toto Drake model, but I have small bathrooms and I would like to get a comfort height seat and Toto Drake models seem to only offer the comfort height seat in the elongated models.

So....I have a few questions,
    1) Are there any more thoughts on the Delta Prelude. Has anyone tried one out for a period of time? Are the parts yet available on HD website?
    2) Am I correct on the Toto info? I also read that the Toto's elongated are 28" deep on this site, but the specs I have read show the Drake models at 28.75" or 29" inches, which is correct?
    3) Is it worth buying the AS Cadet 3 with the possibility of replacing parts soon after buying?
    4) Do you have any other suggestions that might work for me?

Thanks for all your help from reading on this site, by far the best info that I've found, and I've been doing a lot of research.

Actually, my grandparents have a kohler cimarron class 5 and we love it! It flushes great!!! And the cimarrons from 2011+ were made better to wash the bowl. Also, the cadet 3 is ok but the quality control is horrible. Both TOTO and Kohler are good.
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!

DIY kid who loves toilets Starwarsith88's Avatar

Also the cimarron is comfort height and round.
    If you need to go with a new toilet, go with a TOTO!

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Delta Prelude. Single and dual flush

Hi Guys,
    It has been a few months now that I have been using the Delta and I am fairly happy with it.
    The good:
    Powerfull flushing, seems to be able to handle quite a bit without clogging.

Refills the tank extreamly fast.

It is not a dual flush toilet but does use less water if you push the handle quickly for lighter loads and full tank flush if you hold the handle down all the way for 1 second for larger loads.

It did pass the pepper and paprika test, nothing remained.

It looks stylish and cleans easily.

Couldn't beat the price at $139.00

The bad:
    We had trouble leveling the tank. the "new style " metal flange ment for easy installation would bend out of shape when trying to level the tank. When we called Delta they asked us if the flange was installed upside down at the factory, which sometimes happens, but that was not the case with my unit. They suggested that we return the unit for another one. Instead we put a shim between the tank and the bowl and it leveled out fine.

Even though it passed the pepper and paprika tests it doesn't always clean the bowl fully. The very back area can sometimes stay soiled even after a couple of flushes. ( I seem to do that to toilets).

All that said I am fairly happy with the unit, I would rather of had a Toto but the price was too high for me and the size of the Toto was a little to tight for my installation.
    Thanks again for all the help that I found on this website and I have told friends about this site also

I am happy to read your update. It's good to know a real-world experience with this toilet. Thanks again!

I just purchased this toilet recently as well. From a post earlier in this thread it sounded like it used a standard fill valve and only the flapper was "unique". However after looking in the toilet (I am no expert) I'm wondering if any parts are generic/easily replaceable. Below is a link to the parts page from Delta. If the fill valve was to go am I able to replace with a universal replacement?

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/repa...omDetails=true

As for the toilet itself it seems quite good so far. We were replacing a really really old toilet (Lamosa Atlas?) and this one flushes better with less than half the water.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    I just purchased this toilet recently as well. From a post earlier in this thread it sounded like it used a standard fill valve and only the flapper was "unique". However after looking in the toilet (I am no expert) I'm wondering if any parts are generic/easily replaceable. Below is a link to the parts page from Delta. If the fill valve was to go am I able to replace with a universal replacement?

http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/repa...omDetails=true

As for the toilet itself it seems quite good so far. We were replacing a really really old toilet (Lamosa Atlas?) and this one flushes better with less than half the water.
    One of the Delta toilets uses a standard fill valve. Others use a completely-unique, Delta-only fill valve available only from HD, and only online. So...when that toilet owner's fill valve finally quits 5 or more years from now, one better hope that Delta still stocks them...

It looks from your list, however, that your toilet uses a standard fill valve. You can replace it with a Korky 528MP.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 03-27-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wjcandee View Post
    One of the Delta toilets uses a standard fill valve. Others use a completely-unique, Delta-only fill valve available only from HD, and only online. So...when that toilet owner's fill valve finally quits 5 or more years from now, one better hope that Delta still stocks them...

It looks from your list, however, that your toilet uses a standard fill valve. You can replace it with a Korky 528MP.
    Thats good news... so the only "unique" part is the flapper... I'm tempted to actually just order one to have it on-hand just in case. On the flip side though I'm not sure I'll still be living in this house 5 years from now

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    Thats good news... so the only "unique" part is the flapper... I'm tempted to actually just order one to have it on-hand just in case. On the flip side though I'm not sure I'll still be living in this house 5 years from now
    It's a 3" fllush valve. It's a an allegedly-3-3/4"-flapper, but I don't know what that means. I would be curious whether the Korky Large 3" Adjustable Toilet flapper, model 3060BP, would fit and would adjust to the proper water-dispensation level. http://www.korky.com/Flapper3060BP.html

Default I've had the Delta for over a year now and am happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB25 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    It has been a few months now that I have been using the Delta and I am fairly happy with it.
    The good:
    Powerfull flushing, seems to be able to handle quite a bit without clogging.

Refills the tank extreamly fast.

It is not a dual flush toilet but does use less water if you push the handle quickly for lighter loads and full tank flush if you hold the handle down all the way for 1 second for larger loads.

It did pass the pepper and paprika test, nothing remained.

It looks stylish and cleans easily.

Couldn't beat the price at $139.00

The bad:
    We had trouble leveling the tank. the "new style " metal flange ment for easy installation would bend out of shape when trying to level the tank. When we called Delta they asked us if the flange was installed upside down at the factory, which sometimes happens, but that was not the case with my unit. They suggested that we return the unit for another one. Instead we put a shim between the tank and the bowl and it leveled out fine.

Even though it passed the pepper and paprika tests it doesn't always clean the bowl fully. The very back area can sometimes stay soiled even after a couple of flushes. ( I seem to do that to toilets).

All that said I am fairly happy with the unit, I would rather of had a Toto but the price was too high for me and the size of the Toto was a little to tight for my installation.
    Thanks again for all the help that I found on this website and I have told friends about this site also
    I haven't been back on here in a while, but I've been happy with the Delta Corrente for over a year now. The only issue has been with the installer...me :-)
    The Corrente just looks better than the other Delta Toilets to me except now they have the new Riosa which I'm not sure how you would install the bolts to the floor on that one?
    http://www.deltafaucet.com/bath/details/c43906-wh.html
    As far as parts go I think eventually if not already will be able to buy flappers that work at home depot, but the refill pump is unique.
    I've notice the new kohler's have copied the easy tank install with the ring that doesn't require the bolt through the tank.
    The only thing I noticed on the Delta. Is that it is easy to over tighten and it is best to tighten like lug nuts on a car tire rotating between the bolts and watch to see if the metal tank flange starts to bend it's time to stop.
    Things I learned:
    1) Use the largest wax you can use otherwise if the seal is not good you will smell the odor even if it does not leak.
    1) Don't over tighten the toilet to the floor you'll break the plastic flange and then have to install a metal repair flange.
    2) If you don't level the toilet it will walk around and become loose so use pennies or plastic leveling shims. You can push them far enough back and caulk over them.
    3) Caulk it so it does not move and to cover the shims.

BTW - I've also noticed that they now are selling Kohler and American standard at Costco allow with their brand.
    I also noticed a special on the Toto Drake, but it appears to be the model without the sanagloss finish. Is that one of the better Toto's or are all Toto's excellent ;-)
    Last edited by Terry; 04-08-2014 at 08:07 PM.