Tub Spout Pipe Type

Users who are viewing this thread

Big Papa

Reaction score
Is there a law or regulation that requires a specific type of pipe to be used for the tub spout to connect to ? Main question is can CPVC be used instead of galvanized or some other metal pipe ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't think there are any professionals installing galvanized steel pipe anymore. CPVC is too flexible and/or likely to snap off under pressure. The inside diameter is also smaller than copper.

For a solid installation, stub out a piece of copper or thread in a brass nipple.

delta-tub-spout-install.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If this is a tub/shower set up,virtually every manufacurer speficies you may NOT use CPVC or PEX for the spout connections. The reduced inside diameter reduces flow rate, and will cause leakage from the shower head while using the tub.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the inspector is good, codes generally require fixtures to be installed per code, and per the manufacturers' instructions...none accept plastic for a tub/shower to the spout.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've been meaning to put a video that I took of plastic piping to a tub spout. It was PEX in that case and it was forcing water out of the shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks