Newbie here! problem getting water from my lake

Users who are viewing this thread

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
Hi there,

I live in south florida with a lake behind my house. I have a 2 hp goulds pump and it sits above the water line and it is mounted 100 feet from the lake. I ran 2' inch pvc to the back with a horizontal check valve at 80 feet. My strainer sits about 15 feet into the lake submerged. I can not get the water to come up, I dont know if the check valve has to be put in the end where the strainer is. I have been searching on here for my issues but havent found anything that explains my situation.
Thanks in advance

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You have to fill that line and the pump full of water before it will pump. If you have any high spots in the suction line it is almost impossible to get the air out. The foot valve is all you need, it is just hard to draw water from that far away.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
Thank you,

So instead of the check valve at the end, all I need is the foot valve or both?

Yes, I have high points all the way to the back, it is about three feet above the
lake water.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
Well,

I bought the foot valve and installed it. I primed the pump and hit the switch, all I brought was the water left in the line from the city water. I did it a few times and nothing happened, now I am totally lost! Why is it that my 2 hp gator pump does not open the valve to let the lake water in? I am priming it on the inlet side, what else could I try before I call an expert? thank you in advance

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Are you putting the water into the top port on the pump?

How much water are you putting into the pump?

Are you allowing all the air to burp out before putting the plug in and turning the pump on? If there is any air in the suction line the pump will not pick up prime.

Whenever I work on a jet pump I like to have a ball valve on the discharge side so I can bleed off the air slowly.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
Thank you craigpump,

I have the city water hooked on the inlet end of the pump. in front of the pump threw a water hose valve. In the bottom of the front of the pump there is a plug, I do not see any other plugs anywhere to bleed the system. I never bleed the system, so how am I suppose to bleed the system to get the air out? that is what the pump sounds like it has air in it. I will take a picture of my set up in the morning....thank you

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
It sounds like you are keeping the hose hooked to the pump when you start the pump. What you want to do is slowly fill the pump and suction line through the top port on your pump. Allow the air to burp out, refill the pump, burp the air, refill the pump.............When the pump and suction line are both completely full of water, disconnect the garden hose and then turn the pump on. If you don't have a valve on the discharge side of the pump, leave the plug loose so what little remaining air will bleed out.

Welcome to the world of centrifugal/jet pumps.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
Here is my well pump, the only bleeder screw I see is that one on the bottom. If that is the bleeder screw, what do I do? remove it completely or loosen it. Again thank you for all the help

Attachments

• well1.jpg
    well1.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 486
  • well.jpg
    well.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 524

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
LLigetfa,

I bleed it with the city water with the pump running or off. I`m sorry for all these questions, I just want to get it right.

Thank you

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Both. Close off the discharge ballvalve. Pressurize the system with city water. Close off the city water. Open the bleed a small amount and turn on the pump. You want it to build pressure but at the same time bleed off the air. If you lose all the pressure, open and close the city water to get the pump wet. Lather, rinse, repeat.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
I will try this LLigetfa,

Thank you again,

Note: the foot valve is installed horizontal instead of vertical at the lake end. I just thought I should mention this.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
Well,

I am having difficult time trying to bleed the system. How long will it take to pick up the water from the lake, I bleed the system and what it does is bring the water that is in the inlet side all the way to lake but not beyond the check valve. So it is not picking up the lake water, this pump does not have a bleed screw on top so how long can I run the pump to allow it to bring up the lake water.

Thank you all for all your help

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Those Gator pumps are self primers, which have a flapper check built inside. I think you will need a tee on the suction line to be able to prime the suction pipe to the lake.

MUGSHOT

Reaction score
At last! My pumped primed and is now pumping water like a beast. Thank you all for all your help in this matter, now my grass can look green again.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks