Discoloration after heavy use?

Users who are viewing this thread

rpeeee

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm new here and am seeking some advice. I use my well water to fill an outdoor, backyard ice rink. It was a lot of water and I did it in three installments over three days. About 5 hours each day! I noticed after the second day that the water I used to fill the bath for the kids was discolored. Not exactly reddish but more like a yellow "urine" color. I do have a whole house filter in the basement and was wondering if changing this would potentially solve the problem. I am planning on changing it anyway. THe thing is, the filter is after the spigot that runs outside so I don't think all the water went through the filter.

I guess the question is: Would heavy usage cause a change in the status of the well that would cause discoloration? Temporarily I hope?
The house is new to us (6 months) and the well was dug with the construction of the house 7 years ago.

Thanks in advance for your expertise!

Bob C
Rochester, MA

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A lot of things can cause discoloration. Pumping hard can cause this but, usually we pump the well hard for a while to get it to clear up. A hole in the drop pipe can also stir up the well, but you will usually notice some air or water hammer. A filter won’t usually remove color. But if it is, you should be able to catch some of the sediment to see what is causing the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks