Fuses getting very hot in Fusebox

Users who are viewing this thread

Ala Roshdieh

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im a young student living in an apartment with a roommate. My building administrator is absolutely useless and i have a problem.

My apartment unit is run with a fuse box and is heated by baseboard heaters. The fusebox says (15A MAX) so i use 15A fuses. However, whenever i try using the baseboard heaters (especially in this frigid time of year)
my fuses get very hot! I don't know whats causing it, and what ends up happening is that my apartment gets unbearably cold when i had to take them out of the socket. I don't know why its doing that.

I haven't the time (or money) to go constantly buying fuses, so im desperate.

Thanks guys

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The maximum fuse size is determined by several things: the design of the fusebox and the wire size that is being used (larger gauge wire, lower number, the higher the amperage you can use). It would be a rare baseboard heater that only used 15A unless it is fairly small, so it seems, something might be amiss. If the socket is dirty or corroded, the leads coming in/out are loose or corroded, it can act like a heating element by itself.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You don't want an elect. fire. It would be worth the money to spring the price of a service call with an electrician. They will check for : loose connections at the fuse, loose wire connections to the fuse holder, and the actual amp rating of the heat. Iy you have slo-blow fuses ( which I believe this application should NOT use) that fuse can run significantly over 15 amps for longer than you might expect, before it blows. Have you ever had a fuse blow, or just notice the heat??

Speedy Petey

Licensed Electrical Contractor
Reaction score
Im a young student living in an apartment with a roommate. My building administrator is absolutely useless and i have a problem.
Then go OVER his head.
This is NOT something you should be messing with, and you should not be responsible for replacing fuses unless you are running too much and blowing them. Keeping the place comfortable is not running too much.

Mrbeing123

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My apartment unit is run with a fuse box and is heated by baseboard heaters. The fusebox says (15A MAX) so i use 15A fuses. However, whenever i try using the baseboard heaters (especially in this frigid time of year)
my fuses get very hot! I don't know whats causing it, and what ends up happening is that my apartment gets unbearably cold when i had to take them out of the socket. I don't know why its doing that.

I haven't the time (or money) to go constantly buying fuses, so im desperate.

Thanks guys

Check with your state or other local AHJD. There are rights given to tenants with regards to safety of the dwelling. Your first step would be to WRITE a letter stating the disrepair, make a copy for your records and mail it registered to the landlord. Now you have proof that he knows of it. Then depending on the laws in your location, they have so many days to rectify it. If not, you can often then withhold rent. Another option that is often available is to hire someone to repair it and deduct it off of your rent. BUT laws vary amongst the jurisdictions so check first. But remember, even though it's your home, he owns the place. Don't do anything stupid like repair it yourself. You will be held liable if somethings goes wrong. Your responsibility is to pay rent. Theirs is to maintain the darn place and make sure everything is safe.

ESCO

Self Employed Electrician / Master
Reaction score
If the fuses are the right size they should blow before any serious damage occurs
Them getting hot sounds like they are too big and overloaded

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks