re plumb bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

rippin

Reaction score
i am relaying out my entire second floor bath room ,my new toilet runs aprox 9 feet 3 inch pipe from the 3 inch vent pipe, shower is 11 feet from vent using 2 inch pipe , bath tub is 4 feet inch n half and sink is 4 feetinch half , will i need to run a new vent out from any of these new areas or can i use the existing 3 inch vent ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Michigan is an IPC state.

venting.jpg

Just as important is exactly how each of the drain and vent connections are made. We would need to see your plan to verify if it were correct or not.

Last edited:

rippin

Reaction score
002.jpg 003.jpg001.jpg

second pic was were the vent is connected ,third is of all pipes (3" toilet= 11'-3"pipe
(tub in center of pic, 1 n half" pipe 3'+2' of 2"pipe n 2' of 3"pipe

(shower bottom of pic, 10' of 2" pipe n 2' of 3"pipe
(sink right side pic, 5' of 1ch n half pipe n 2' of 2 " pipe

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I tried to figure out your plan there, but I'm not seeing it. We have to submit an isometric plumbing drawing as a precursor to obtaining a plumbing permit. It's easy to look at an isometric and see what the plan is.

Isometric Plumbing Drawing.gif

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
One fixture's drainage cannot flow past another fixture's drain connection unless it they are vented first.

I see drains flowing downward, but no vent going up.

From the point where a fixture's trap arm starts, there can be no more than 1/4" per foot of grade between the trap and it's vent.

rippin

Reaction score
the vent going up and out is pic 2, it runs under floor area about a foot than straight up and out roof, its 3 inch pipe,
so the 2 inch drains can not run into 3inch drain with out a vent first is what im doing wrong correct ?
also the 3inch has just a little more than 1/4 inch drop ? will i have to fix that to a perfect 1/4inch drop as well? ( in the pic i have not connected the pipe yet)
and as well my tub has a pee trap running under the floor truss ,is the ok?

i will work on a drawing as i fig all this out for you .

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I am not trying to be crude, but you have a lot of studying to do.

Before any drain can go down, it must have a vent going up. The distance allowed between drain and vent means that the pipe cannot drop more than 1/4" per foot between the trap and its vent. Vents must go up, they can never go down to make a connection.

plhouse.jpg

Your sink vent must go up vertically at least 42" above the floor before it can be turned horizontally to make a connection with a stack vent.

The tub will not drain properly if you deepen the trap to go under the joist.

Here is a good link with information to heed from Bert Polk, plumbing inspector.
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

rippin

Reaction score
ok thanks ,i working with what was previously set up as a vent before i took every thing out ,ill work of what you suggested

rippin

Reaction score
also the drawing is difficult to show how exactly a drain runs ,the tub drain runs 1/4 inch down all way to 3inch connection with p trap just so happens to have joist runnung though the center of it.(the trap has not been deepened)
the toilet drain runs 1/4 inch drop all the way tell it hit's the vertical drop of one foot and than turns in with 1/4inch drop one foot over to vent stack wich runs up though roof.(that is how things were set up before i took it all out,and it worked ?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Sorry, I know sometimes I wish it were easier, but it is all for good reason.
What you have would be wrong regardless of who did it or when. The "vertical drop of one foot" breaks the vent, and will not pass.

What you have assembled for the tub drain is not clear. The tub's waste and overflow assy must drain vertically into the trap; the trap cannot be further downstream.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks