Bath DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

Saltworks

Reaction score
houseaddition 035.jpg

First post, first attempt to insert a photo. Hope it works out.

Above is a drawing of my proposed dwv design for a new second floor bathroom (shower and tub group). Can anyone comment on whether it will meet code? I am working under the Michigan Residential Code 2009, which I believe is based on the IRC 2009. Hope it is reasonably clear.

Thanks

Bill

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I don't know where your lavatory is, but as drawn, neither of the fixtures are properly vented.

The shower vent must rise vertically from the trap arm until it is at least 42" above the floor.

The shower drainage flowing past the unvented tub would siphon it's trap. The "vent" on the right does nothing to stop it.

Saltworks

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If the shower didn't flow past the tub, the tub would be vented since the code allows up to 8 feet before venting if using 2 inch PVC (as I understand it). In addition, if I moved the shower drain about 6 inches to the right and kept it on its own drain, it could also be vented at the main vent, is that correct? I can move the drain since I am doing a mud bed and can put the drain anywhere within reason to shorten the distance to the main vent.

Thanks for any advise.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
See if someone comments on this as a guide.

Where #9 is your shower trap.

Between fittings #2 and #3 you could cut in a Wye to pick up the tub drain??

Attachments

• Dave88LX%252520from%252520terry%252520forum%2525202.jpg
    Dave88LX%252520from%252520terry%252520forum%2525202.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 288

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. If the shower didn't flow past the tub, the tub would be vented since the code allows up to 8 feet before venting if using 2 inch PVC (as I understand it). In addition, if I moved the shower drain about 6 inches to the right and kept it on its own drain, it could also be vented at the main vent, is that correct? I can move the drain since I am doing a mud bed and can put the drain anywhere within reason to shorten the distance to the main vent.

Thanks for any advise.

If there were some way to connect both fixtures to the stack at the same level, and the vent is within the max distance of each trap, then splitting the lines would work. We cannot see. what you are up against, but i would speculate that you are going to need to route the shower drain drain to a wall, where you can bring up a vent. The vent can run on the horizontal once it is above 42", if need be to tie the vents together before they continue up through the roof.

Saltworks

Reaction score
cacher_chick - you are correct, I need to get both drains to a wall to vent and drain them. This is a 100 year old stone cottage with the unusual complication that most of the walls are framed with 2 x 4 studs on the flat - meaning the interior of the walls are often only 1.75 inches wide. Too narrow to run most dwv. The wall that I am aiming for is a full 6 inches wide and contains the main stack from the lower level. I need to get to that wall to run the drains to the basement and the vents to the main stack. It sounds like my plan to get to the wall, staying within the code limits on the vent distance, will be the best way to handle things. Thank you for the reply.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
They often frame finished basements like that, and sometimes the only solution is to frame a new wall inside of the original one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks