(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bath DWV

Hybrid View

Default Bath DWV

Name:  houseaddition 035.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  44.7 KB

First post, first attempt to insert a photo. Hope it works out.

Above is a drawing of my proposed dwv design for a new second floor bathroom (shower and tub group). Can anyone comment on whether it will meet code? I am working under the Michigan Residential Code 2009, which I believe is based on the IRC 2009. Hope it is reasonably clear.

Thanks

Bill

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

I don't know where your lavatory is, but as drawn, neither of the fixtures are properly vented.

The shower vent must rise vertically from the trap arm until it is at least 42" above the floor.

The shower drainage flowing past the unvented tub would siphon it's trap. The "vent" on the right does nothing to stop it.

Thanks for the reply. If the shower didn't flow past the tub, the tub would be vented since the code allows up to 8 feet before venting if using 2 inch PVC (as I understand it). In addition, if I moved the shower drain about 6 inches to the right and kept it on its own drain, it could also be vented at the main vent, is that correct? I can move the drain since I am doing a mud bed and can put the drain anywhere within reason to shorten the distance to the main vent.

Thanks for any advise.

See if someone comments on this as a guide.

Where #9 is your shower trap.

Between fittings #2 and #3 you could cut in a Wye to pick up the tub drain??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hammerlane, you are obsessed by your laundry plumbing, and your solution would not be correct.

The shower is flat vented
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Quote Originally Posted by cacher_chick View Post
    Hammerlane, you are obsessed by your laundry plumbing, and your solution would not be correct.
    lol...Not my laundry setup, it is Dave88LX's.

http://www.terrylove.com/forums/show...up-need-advice

But I will use it as a guide when I move my wife into the basement.

Quote Originally Posted by saltworks View Post
    Thanks for the reply. If the shower didn't flow past the tub, the tub would be vented since the code allows up to 8 feet before venting if using 2 inch PVC (as I understand it). In addition, if I moved the shower drain about 6 inches to the right and kept it on its own drain, it could also be vented at the main vent, is that correct? I can move the drain since I am doing a mud bed and can put the drain anywhere within reason to shorten the distance to the main vent.

Thanks for any advise.
    If there were some way to connect both fixtures to the stack at the same level, and the vent is within the max distance of each trap, then splitting the lines would work. We cannot see. what you are up against, but i would speculate that you are going to need to route the shower drain drain to a wall, where you can bring up a vent. The vent can run on the horizontal once it is above 42", if need be to tie the vents together before they continue up through the roof.

cacher_chick - you are correct, I need to get both drains to a wall to vent and drain them. This is a 100 year old stone cottage with the unusual complication that most of the walls are framed with 2 x 4 studs on the flat - meaning the interior of the walls are often only 1.75 inches wide. Too narrow to run most dwv. The wall that I am aiming for is a full 6 inches wide and contains the main stack from the lower level. I need to get to that wall to run the drains to the basement and the vents to the main stack. It sounds like my plan to get to the wall, staying within the code limits on the vent distance, will be the best way to handle things. Thank you for the reply.

They often frame finished basements like that, and sometimes the only solution is to frame a new wall inside of the original one.