Washing machine/sink drain and vent

Users who are viewing this thread

garrettgjp

Reaction score
I am a new home owner and this will be my first ever DIY plumbing project.

My washing machine drains into the laundry sink and I am wanting to have it drain into a seperate pipe and figure out how to vent it properly as well. I have included pictures of the current setup, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated since I am not sure how to go about this correctly.

Winter 2012 018.jpgWinter 2012 019.jpgWinter 2012 020.jpgWinter 2012 021.jpgWinter 2012 022.jpg

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The photo shows an S-trap which is illegal, because it self-siphons. Also, it appears to drain into a drain stack, and therefor there is no vent.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
First you will have to cut out a section of the cast iron and install wyes for the new drains. Then you will have to run a new vent from the basement up through the roof. Unless you are well equipped and quite skilled, this will not be a very good project for you to learn about plumbing.

Hammerlane

Reaction score
Above fitting #5, there can be no other fixtures draining into that stack to have that vent setup be proper?

Attachments

• Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 656

garrettgjp

Reaction score
Thanks, this is clearly over my head. I'll hire someone to take this on and watch and learn. Thank you again to everyone who responded!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks