Flushing Noise Volume

Users who are viewing this thread

Msstegie

Reaction score
We are remodeling and need to replace 1.6 gpf toilets to comply with 1.28 gpf water efficiency requirements of our city. I have looked at both Toto Guinevere and Kohler Memoirs in showrooms, but of course could not flush them to compare how loud the flush sound would be. Noisiness is not a feature that I ever see much discussion about, but all other things being equal, I would prefer a quieter flushing mechanism. Any views? Is there another brand or model I should consider?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
First of all, stay with Toto. They are the best toilets available. Now, you need to realize that all low flow toilets function somewhat differently that the old 3.5 gpf things they are replacing. The water empties much faster so that a small volume of water will still evacuate the waste. This does mean there will be a certain amount of flushing noise, but this noise does not last long and it is not excessively loud in my opinion. Definitely avoid a pressure assisted toilet. These are very loud and are just an attempt to overcome the poor design of the toilet. Toto does not make a pressure assisted toilet. I have 2 Toto toilets in my home. The master bath has a Dartmouth, and the basement has a Drake. The Dartmouth flushing noise lasts about 3 to 4 seconds, and the Drake is slight longer. Neither has what I would call an explosive sound. Closing the lid prior to flushing would probably muffle the sound if it appeared to be really bothersome. I suspect that the reason flushing noise is not discussed too much it that using a toilet and flushing is a normal part of life. Most of us get accustomed to the occasional sound and think nothing of it. Back in the day when outhouses were the norm, flushing noise wasn't a concern. Just the walk through the snow and wind and freezing our butts off over the hole was a problem. Dam glad those are days gone by!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Those two are going to be pretty similar in noise levels. It's a little hard to put a hard number on noise, so much depends on the room and the plumbing. I've seen some bowls that amaze me at how quiet they are, and then the same bowl in somene elses home is louder. Flushing 1.28 is pretty subtle though.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For performance and quality, get the Toto.

You might wish to click the green box above and to the right to see reviews of toilets. You'll see how highly your Guinevere ranks.

I don't know if you have looked at the other Toto models for appearance, but certainly the Soiree and the Ultramax II are excellent-performing toilets that are aesthetically-pleasing as well. You can look at the complete collection at www.totousa.com (PS If you do, be aware that the list price of the toilets shown there is nearly-double the available street price, give or take 15%. So don't freak out.)

Last edited:

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
First of all, stay with Toto. They are the best toilets available. Now, you need to realize that all low flow toilets function somewhat differently that the old 3.5 gpf things they are replacing. The water empties much faster so that a small volume of water will still evacuate the waste. This does mean there will be a certain amount of flushing noise, but this noise does not last long and it is not excessively loud in my opinion. Definitely avoid a pressure assisted toilet. These are very loud and are just an attempt to overcome the poor design of the toilet. Toto does not make a pressure assisted toilet. I have 2 Toto toilets in my home. The master bath has a Dartmouth, and the basement has a Drake. The Dartmouth flushing noise lasts about 3 to 4 seconds, and the Drake is slight longer. Neither has what I would call an explosive sound. Closing the lid prior to flushing would probably muffle the sound if it appeared to be really bothersome. I suspect that the reason flushing noise is not discussed too much it that using a toilet and flushing is a normal part of life. Most of us get accustomed to the occasional sound and think nothing of it. Back in the day when outhouses were the norm, flushing noise wasn't a concern. Just the walk through the snow and wind and freezing our butts off over the hole was a problem. Dam glad those are days gone by!
Actually, Toto aren't the best ones. I would go with the Memoirs because I have had really good experiences with them, and I have seen a Drake and a Dartmouth and had a WAY better experience with a Kohler. Not just because my name is GoKohlerGo, I like American Standard too, but I have had a better experience with the Memoirs. The Class Five has improved over the years, adding a better bowl wash and more, so I would stay with Kohler. They are VERY quiet.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks