Vent and cold weather = draft

Users who are viewing this thread

Yar02169

Reaction score
I'm looking for something, I have no idea what, but maybe someone here will help me find it.

A few years ago I did a kitchen remodel that entailed moving the sink across the room. Now the sink has a window, and the relationship is great. When the remodel was done, the plumber ran a new vent up the wall. When he got up to the ceiling, instead of going through the header, he came into the room in the corner, went up into the crawl space and through the roof (it's in the corner of a Cape house). The corner cabinet has an angled back side, so the vent is in a happy place and all is good.

Here's my issue. When the cold winter months arrive, the vent transfers the cold air into the room. If you hold you hand in the corner of the counter top, you can feel the cold air drifting down from the back angled corner of the cabinet. I have tucked insulation into the open space behind the cabinet, and it helps, but I would like more. Open the cabinet door, and an avalanche of cold comes to greet you.

So, I'm looking for something, but I have no clue what it is that may help. One thought that I have is to put a cap/cover on the end of the vent up on the roof. My thinking is that it would prevent the vent air from the turbulence of the outside world, and maybe my kitchen would be less cold/drafty. Before I do that, I figured I would post here so that I can be told that it won't work, but here's what will: ___________________ . I hope someone can fill in the blank for me.

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
THe cold air and draft is not INSIDE the vent pipe. That pipe vents the trap under the sink. The air is probably coming AROUND that pipe, and he probably didn't seal it well where it comes through from the attic. Can you get into the attic to check it?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I'm assuming you are talking about the vent for the sink in which case Jim is spot-on. Some spray-foam in the right place can work wonders in sealing those air leaks.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NOTHING that happens inside the pipe is going to affect the area outside it, so you diagnosis is faulty. The source of the draft is elsewhere, but we cannot diagnose it without being there. IF the air behind the corner cabinet gets cold, it WILL drift down to the countertop, it is a law of physics, but it might have NOTHING to do with the vent.

Yar02169

Reaction score
Thanks for the guidance. Since I had to re-do the exterior flashing on the vent pipe, I'm expecting that the plumber's helper didn't do any insulating in the attic either.

I wish City inspectors checked on the little things that make the job complete. The roof flashing was placed on top of the shingles with a bead of caulk along the top. Will it work for a couple years, yes, is it done right, no (it's probably acceptable because there's no "Code" to follow, just a right and wrong way to do it). It should be caught by inspectors, and the plumber, electrician, whoever should have to correct it. If they make them correct it enough, they'll soon just start doing it the right way to begin with. Rant over, I thank you for directing me in what to go look for, and probably not see.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks