(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing dishwasher with washing machine

Default Replacing dishwasher with washing machine

Is it possible to replace a dishwasher with a washing machine? I know the in and out pipe / hose sizes are traditionally different (dishwasher smaller), but is it possible to hook up a small washing machine that will utilize the connections my dishwasher now does?

Probably not. The drainage will be completely inadequate. You will have to improvise a cold water supply, and the hot water line will have to be increased in size. A portable dishwasher might be a better option, but even then you have to ensure that the faucet will handle the water connection.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

No...not enough water and not enough drain! Not to mention..does anyone even make a WM which would fit in the space??

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you can live with very long wash cycle times, some of them will work with a small supply as they have level sensors - course, it might take it 20-minutes to fill. Most WM are wider and taller than a typical 24" DW space, and aren't designed to fit underneath a counter. Most portable ones are designed to discharge into the sink, but we don't see this type in the USA much.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Thanks, guys. I think I am going with a portable washer (Haier 1.0 Cubic Foot Portable Washing Machine). I'd prefer not to flood my kitchen! Then I'm gonna use that space for a no-vent washer and start saving quarters.

By the way, they do have front loading washers that fit the space well. Most are about 24 x 24 x 33 (h). Same with these no vent dryers.

I am a little late then even, the portable washer is best, flexi and economy so will do good to your dishwasher.

Those mini machines are very pricey, can't wash large loads, and the dryers take forever to dry anything heavy like jeans or towels. I know what it is like to NOT have a W/D so in your shoes I would do the same thing....do what you gotta do!!!