Beginning bathroom remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

DougB

Reaction score
I'm in Minneapoils, and I'm gutting the master bath. I intended to get a permit. Several years ago I remodeled the kitchen (with permits) and everything went well. I grew up in a home that owned a HVAC wholesaler - so I'm comfortable with soldering / wiring / etc.

I intend to remove some cast iron sewer line - and I'm going to have a plumber friend help me with that.

Are there any kind codes that I should be particularlly aware of? (Besides good workmanship and common sense engineering)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are gutting it, then they will undoubtedly require a lot of things to be brought up to code.....GFI receptacle, ventilation, and scald-protected shower valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CI is still the Cadillac of drain systems...swapping it to pvc is certainly cheaper and easier, but keep in mind two big things: CI is much quieter - you may hear things draining after that you don't now, PVC expands and contracts a fair amount with temperature changes (as hot drain water goes down, and then again after it stops and things cool off). If the pipe isn't managed well, that movement can cause squeaks as it rubs on things.

DougB

Reaction score
Here's what I am planning to use:

It already has it's own 20 amp circuit - just for an outlet.

I'm installing a new alcove bathtub, Toto toilet, sink, exhaust fan, light in alcove (damp rated), heated floor with GFCI thermostat, thermostatic Grohe valve, Low-E window.

I have other Grohe faucets in my home. The iBox looks really neat. Have you ever used it?

Also I was going to install a Toto wall mounted toilet. Have you ever seen one of these?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
There are plenty of things to know in regards to what fittings are used for what purpose in a DVW system, and how to properly install the drains and vents. I suggest that you draw an accurate isometric diagram of your proposed DVW system and post it here so that the plumbers can give you advice before you submit the drawing for your permit.

There is a helpful publication available from Bert Polk, a residential plumbing inspector available here-
Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Being and engineer and knowing HVAC doesn't give me a background in plumbing? You gotta be kidding.

HVAC companies don't do soft solder, packed lead joints, pressurized water piping, design drain arrangements. No offense. I am sure you have the necessary talent, but you are welcome to come here to add to your knowledge.
And related to a post I made in a different thread, ENGINEERS designed the modified steam generator tubing for the San Onofre NGS, and that resulted in radiation leakage and quite possibly neither unit 2 or unit 3 will EVER be granted permission to restart. Do we hold engineers in high regard around here in S. Calif, with the threat of brown-outs hanging over our head for a year due to SONGS shut down all that time??? You decide.

The choice between CI and plastic is a reasonable subject for discussion, because the choice needs to be made early on.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
YES cast iron is commonly used.....not as widely as plastic because of the price point in new contstruction tract homes, which is the bulk of the market. But high end homes, multi-story , etc...yes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Does anyone really use CI anymore? Maybe a government office building? There are so many advanages to plastic: cost, ease of cutting, installation, labor, space requirements

The MAIN reason plastic is being used for drain and water pipes is because it is "cheaper", any other benefits are ancillary to that. It was the reason polybutylene, which ruined many contractors and insurance companies, was so popular from the 70s to the 90s. But when it started to fail, it took a lot of people with it. At this time, we do NOT know if PEX will be the "new" pb, only time will tell.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I think we can extend gratitude to Europe for "running interference" on the question of PEX reliability.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks