Noise in shower head

Users who are viewing this thread

blove1344

Reaction score
My newely installed tub/shower has a squealling noise when the shower is turned on.
It is a Moen valve and shower head and there is a loud squealling noise usually after
the water has been on awhile. Then goes away and comes back later. It almost always
makes this noise when you are shutting off the water. I changed shower heads but that
did not solve the problem. I'm wondering if it is the valve itself of should I try another
shower head? Has anyone else had this problem?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Squealing noise can propagate through the piping. One of the most common "squealers" is a main pressure regulating valve, located near the main house shut-off valve. You might look for that, and see if it is the source.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is there a tub/shower with a diverter in the tub spout? Those can be notorious for making some nasty noises. Most can't be repaired...replace it. Try playing with the knob on the diverter on the tub spout to see if you can change the sound if you have one.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One of the more reliable designs out there is made by Delta. The ones that have a ring around the spout that you pull DOWN to activate the diverter. They have them in many styles and finishes, but you may need to deal with the fitting to attach it. They do make a bunch of versions, though. You sometimes have to instruct guests on how to activate it, though.

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
"You sometimes have to instruct guests on how to activate it, though. "

LOL ;) I went to visit my buddy in Kentucky and that's what he had to do, lol. I never saw one like that, but I like it though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks