After Flapper Replaced....Multi-Flushes

Users who are viewing this thread

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
Been running into a problem and have already found an acceptable solution. I still question though; when I replace some standard-looking toilet flapper with universal fit flapper from the supply house, why do the toilets flush more than once per lever pull? The flapper will stay upright until the whole tank is evacuated. As if the water is preventing the flapper from falling back down. I was having this problem mostly on Kohler toilets that weren't too old. I was thinking maybe I should buy the OEM flapper for each brand of toilet I run in to. I found an adjustable flapper that has sufficed for now. Any thoughts?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Few, if any, modern toilets since the mandated low-flow requirements, flush the entire tank during a normal cycle - they use the height of the water to provide more oomph for the flush. To accomplish this, they design their flapper to only stay up a certain amount of time. A universal replacement is unlikely to have that calibration, and will stay up longer, letting more water out. Enough water will cause it to do what you've seen. An adjustable flapper or an OEM, or one made specifically for your toilet as an aftermarket is the only way to drop the water use to the mandated amount. Using the wrong flapper, or incorrectly adjusting an adjustable one could use as much as twice the water mandated, and is a really bad thing in SoCal where water is especially dear.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
If you know the toilet brand and model number, and the flush valve hasn't been replaced, then call Korky customer service at
262-763-2434 and ask them what's the best replacement flapper for your toilet. www.korky.com

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks