Low-flow toilet rebate program

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thought the following information may be of interest to others:

In San Diego county for many years there has been a program to rebate $75 to the purchaser of a 1.6 gallon toilet to replace any non 1.6 toilet in their house. Any 1.6 gallon toilet was eligible for the rabate. After about 14 years on this program, it seems the water authority has realized that all low-flush toilets are not created equal.

Beginning October 1, 2004 to qualify for the rebate, the toilet must meet the following specs:

1. Conform to ASME A112.19 and A112.19.6

2. Flush valve must be leak free after testing with Chlorox bleach AND "2000 FLushes" brand bowl cleaning tablet. { I do not yet know the details of this test}

3. Any device or barrier inside the tank designed to limit the flow of water must be permanently attached and TAMPER PROOF.

4. The MAXIMUM capacity of the tank or the water vessel must not exceed 2.0 gallons,
OR
The MAXIMUM volume of water which the toilet may possibly discharge must not exceed 2.0 gallons.

Right now the list of eligible toilets is short. It does include some TOTO, the Champion, and most models which are using a SLoan Flushmate power-flush.
The Cimarron is NOT on the list; the ever-popular gravity-flush Wellworths are NOT on the list.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I know this is an old posting, but I read somewhere that lower flow toilets are causing problems in U.S. city sewer lines. Increased levels of sludge, and methane gases for lack of water to carry waste to a destination. Some cities I believe in California are introducing new processes to help break down waste in the sewer main pipe. I am interested to know more as I am on a septic. I haven’t experienced any issues with low-flows. And low flows of today seem to be much better than those of the early 00s.
Sincerely
Cameron Fields

Mike Provence

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.wisecountyplumbing.com
I've noticed issues with not having enough water to wash the TP down the pipes. They can get stuck on fittings, and start building up to create a blockage. Sure we get drain cleanings out of it, but I'd prefer higher flow toilets at my own place honestly. Other countries I've visited get away with low volume/low pressure because they don't flush their tissues. If someone has a low volume toilet they recommend, I'm all ears.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I've noticed issues with not having enough water to wash the TP down the pipes. They can get stuck on fittings, and start building up to create a blockage. Sure we get drain cleanings out of it, but I'd prefer higher flow toilets at my own place honestly. Other countries I've visited get away with low volume/low pressure because they don't flush their tissues. If someone has a low volume toilet they recommend, I'm all ears.

I have heard very good things about the Kohler Cimarron; I plan on picking one up. Check out this video.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Most of the new toilets are working fine with sewers.
My mothers place has a 250 foot long 4" clay tile sewer, working with 1.6 and 1.28 toilets. The water rushes out faster than the old swirly bowls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks