Heat transfer Plates

Users who are viewing this thread

williambonetto

Reaction score
Is there a big difference between the transfer plates that are stamped or the extruded plates. The extruded plates seem thicker so i would think that they would heat the floor a little better or for a longer amount of time. I am talking about between the floor joist heat transfer plates.

Thank You
Bill Bonetto
Bonetto's Carpentry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What you are concerned about is how fast the heat can get from the fluid to the floor. Thin plates will transfer the heat faster, but also cool down faster when the flow stops. Cast, because it has more mass, heats up slower, but also retains its heat longer.

williambonetto

Reaction score
So is one better than the other? Is there pros and cons of each one? It is for my own home so I would like to got with the better choice.

Thank You
Bill Bonetto
Bonetto's Carpentry

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is the same question about whether to use cast iron radiators, or baseboard, or fin tube baseboard. Each has its benefits and negatives. Thin plates will heat up faster, but cast will have a more uniform heat, so it is a personal preference.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks