(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no soft water

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Slusser View Post
    You need to make sure the valve is counting down the gallons of water you use. If not there probably will be no regeneration; unless you have calendar override on the valve.
    +1

http://www.specsserver.com/CACHE/FILE2185.PDF

WHES30 is very similar to my old GE Smartwater Profile. It will regenerate on demond or on calendar up to 15 day max.

I thought my old GE water softener isn't working because it isn't generate any soft water... Check if the display will give you water usuage information. If not, that mean the valve isn't counting down the water. The valve could be bad or it needs to reset.

What I did is shut off the main water valve to house and turn on fraucets to drain out the water within the pipes, then turn on the main water valve. Somehow my old GE softener start showing the water usuage and back to normal... too bad I have already order the new water softener...

I'm not the expert but why not give it a try.
    Last edited by silversaver; 02-05-2013 at 11:11 AM.

update....I installed a new board and have the same results. I did a manual electronic check while house water was running, it showed the menu counting gallons, and also the main menu showed running water with the 'water drop' icons, the problem is the unit hasn't done a recharge in ten days. I can do a manual recharge and it goes through the complete cycle but my water isn't still soft. It appears the unit isn't recognizing a 'recharge' is in need. Any suggestions? Thanks.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

If you know the hardness and size of the unit, you can estimate the days between regens. You may not be exceeding the capacity of the unit and that's why the long runs. Did you ever check the distributor tube oring? Also, if it's hooked up to hot side only, it will take a very long time before it wil regen.

I'm back......had the water tested and it came back 1GPG which = hardness, correct? I checked the disrtib. tube o ring and the valve components, all were good. Raised the softness to 45, no regen. in ten days, manually checked the electronics and the unit is counting gallons, it will do a manual regen. but the unit is not somehow recognizing a needed regen. Also, I did replace the electronic board a while back, guess I'll go all through the recommended checks again and see what happens, the unit is almost 2 years old....thanks for your help.

What are your settings?
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

45, and it suppose to recognize when it needs a regen.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Sounds like the electronic board is bad. Just ran into the same thing this week. Set the backwash for 15 min but it computor will only BW for 2 min. No matter what program I put in, it will only BW for 2 min.