(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: no soft water

Unhappy no soft water

I have a whes30 water softener and have been trouble shooting it for a while as the 'softness' has vanished. I know the venturi is working as I disconnected the line from the fitting and there is a suction there, I also blew through the brine tube and bubbles were heard in the brinewell, my water flow indicator is showing the moving 'drops'. Checked the turbine in the outlet tube and it's not locked up. Did all the manual regen. checks and that checked out. My water softener was set at 25 which worked good, reset at 50 and still no soft water, I think it's not regenerating at all as the salt level has stayed the same the past couple of days, could the board be bad? Is there some sensor not activating the water softener automatically, though I can do it manually? Thanks for your help.

Check the brine line for suction leaks
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Sounds like that either the bypass is leaking untreated water or there is a leak in the valve body or the tube into the valve body is in need of replacement.

If the unit is showing water usage and salt is getting used then there is a cross over that is taking place in one of the above items.

He said the salt level hasn't dropped
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

You may want to check the o ring that seals the distributor from the valve. I have seen then end up in the upper basket which the unit will function properly but no soft water. Or you could have a salt bridge.

Fine, I will just leave it to the rest of you and stay away from here.
    To many starting to sound alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Akpsdvan View Post
    Fine, I will just leave it to the rest of you and stay away from here.
    To many starting to sound alike.
    ? What is this all about? Don't you think your opinion counts anymore?

Thanks all for your suggestions, I know it's not the' board'. As I stated before, if I disconnect the brine line to the venturi there is suction at the fitting and I can suck brine up, the discharge water during the brine cycle is fresh not salty tasting.I did a manual regen. and it does go through the cycles, and salt is being used, except no soft water. There's no salt bridge, if the 'o' ring is bad as you suggest would that cause an insufficient draw or no draw of the brine? Thanks for your suggestions.

How old is the unit and is there any chlorene in the incoming water?

Quote Originally Posted by mazatec View Post
    Thanks all for your suggestions, I know it's not the' board'. As I stated before, if I disconnect the brine line to the venturi there is suction at the fitting and I can suck brine up, the discharge water during the brine cycle is fresh not salty tasting.I did a manual regen. and it does go through the cycles, and salt is being used, except no soft water. There's no salt bridge, if the 'o' ring is bad as you suggest would that cause an insufficient draw or no draw of the brine? Thanks for your suggestions.
    If the o ring is bad, the unit will work as it suppose to. The water simply will not pass through the resin.

I'm on private well and no chlorine is present, I assume by the 'o'ring you are refering to the large 'o' ring, 3-3/8"x 3-5/8" with the rotor and disc assembly.. There are two smaller o rings under the valve cover. The unit is 2 years old. Thanks.

The o ring I'm referring to is on the bottom of the valve. Where the distributor tube connects to the valve, there is an o ring to seal the raw water from the treated water. If the o ring is missing or out of place the water enters the resin tank and then passes between the dist tube and valve without going through the resin.

ok, I think I follow you and I'll check that o ring. in the whes30 manual it's listed as# 1 on page 24, I would enclose picture but not having luck doing that. Thanks so much for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Haven't checked that 'o' ring yet but someone suggested turning up the softness to max which I did, to 95, shouldn't the unit be regen. very often. I did a manual regen. and there was a salty taste at the drain line at what stage I forget. It then did an automatic regen. the day after, now it's been 3 days and no regen. , no drop in the salt level. Plan on checking the 'o' ring and the distrib. seal.

You need to make sure the valve is counting down the gallons of water you use. If not there probably will be no regeneration; unless you have calendar override on the valve.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.