Coated Gas Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

MichaelBukay

Plumber
Reaction score
I don't use this product. I usually opt for PE when gas piping goes underground. Long story short: outdoor tankless water heater quit firing. Trouble code said no gas supply. Confirmed by removing flex and opening valve. No gas. Supply coming from meter underground. Find water in the gas piping underground. Suck water out with wet/dry vac and when gas is turned back on, I find MANY holes in the piping underground. So my question is how many of you have find this before? This is my first time. Under the epoxy coating where there are pipe wrench teeth marks....the piping hollowed out. I read other older threads here about this piping being pretty crappy. I was under the assumption the piping under the epoxy was galv. Apparently not. The piping is only two years old. I'm just in shock really. PE pipe to the rescue tomorrow.... piping.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
qquote;So my question is how many of you have find this before?

Too many times. that material, even though it is code approved it is the poorest possible material for a buried gas line. The coating is not much more than a coat of paint, and the base pipe is black steel which should NEVER be buried undelground. ANY damage to the coating, such as wrench marks, or exposed pipe MUST be tightly covered with pipe wrap tape. IF moisture can contact the base pipe, it WILL corrode quickly. I have seen pipes, like yours, which looked like Swiss Cheese in a matter of a few years.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The manufacturer, and code, require ANY spot on the pipe, such as exposed threads, wrench marks, scratches, etc. to be PRIMED ( primer is $20 a quart) and wrapped with 40 mils of tape ( = TWO wraps of the available 20 mil tape). How many installations do you think really achieve this? First off , most guys and ALL DIY skip the primer, because it is so expensive, and they think one wrap of tape is enough. And usually only tape the joints, not the scratches!

Bluebinky

Reaction score
The manufacturer, and code, require ANY spot on the pipe, such as exposed threads, wrench marks, scratches, etc. to be PRIMED ( primer is $20 a quart) and wrapped with 40 mils of tape ( = TWO wraps of the available 20 mil tape). How many installations do you think really achieve this? First off , most guys and ALL DIY skip the primer, because it is so expensive, and they think one wrap of tape is enough. And usually only tape the joints, not the scratches!
Not all DIY installs skip the primer. A few years ago, I put some buried coated steel underground (out to my new shop) at my place in Texas. I'm confident I did it right, but when I move back in a couple of years, I'm gonna tear it all up and pay someone who is licensed to put in plastic. The original install will never get to see any gas...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The real reason for the primer is that it is a "second line of defense" against corrosion if the tape failed. If the tape is installed, with the proper overlap, it creates an inpenetrable "sheath" around the pipe, which does not necessarily depend on the tape's adhesion to the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks