(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Floor drain backup - toilet water disappearing - possible Vent issues

Default Floor drain backup - toilet water disappearing - possible Vent issues

Floor drain backup - toilet water disappearing - possible Vent issues

Not sure what type of problem I have. I seem to have an issue with my floor drain a couple times a year. This may be 3 times in one week or once every 4 months. No year is the same.

So, every once in a while my floor drain will back up just on to the floor (house is 1968). I had the drains cleaned and inspected but no blockage was found to the street. The weird this is that I know this will occur because the toilet in the basement will suddenly be dry. All the water sucked out of the bowl. Not evaporation. The change me be from the morning to the afternoon.

As soon as I plunge the toilet vigorously, the drain floor drain immediately clears and I can pour an unlimited amount of water down the floor drain.

I am thinking vent issue but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

There is a belly in the pipe below the floor. A camera inspection will verify that
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, I had the drains video inspected a year or so ago with nothing showing. It was from one of the more recommended companies in my area. They didn't find anything They only looked in my cleanout to the street, not from where the backup was occurring. That sound inadequate as I am typing this.

How to I get them to look for this issue specifically? Does this involve special equipment?

As I mentioned in the previous post I can drain my 1/2 line for ever once I have "burped" my drain.

Thanks,

Paul

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

A belly can accumulate waste. Once it is cleared, things work okay for awhile.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014