Java

Users who are viewing this thread

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
What is anyone's take on the Department of Homeland Security's recent warning for EVERYONE to disable JAVA on their browser due to hacking issues? I did it, seems to not hurt anything....but is this a real issue or a red herring????

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What is anyone's take on the Department of Homeland Security's recent warning for EVERYONE to disable JAVA on their browser due to hacking issues? I did it, seems to not hurt anything....but is this a real issue or a red herring????

It is a real threat, even tho they claim to have it fixed, I would not trust it. No Antivirus software seems to detect it.

You can get WinForce and block all Java on the fly. www.winforce.net

Only use Java.exe when you need it. Do not let other programs run it without you knowing.

Looks like Flash Player Plugins could be next. I hope to have a REAL fix for that soon.

Don't trust the New Internet fixes that have been released. I looked at some of them and they are no better than the old.

The new fix could even include better spyware, watch were you get the fix from.

It is best just to block Java, unless you really need to use it.

Many MS programs use Java now, And WinForce works good to block any BS software on the fly with 1 click of a button.

Java is needed for a lot of things (even some Antivirus software). Hackers love it, Granddaddy Sam does also.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
SO...I have disabled the Java add-on. What impact will this have on casual web browsing, etc????

DonL

Reaction score
SO...I have disabled the Java add-on. What impact will this have on casual web browsing, etc????

One of the problems is that you think you may have it disabled.

A app to make sure helps. Or look in your Win Task Man.

This site can test it for you. http://javatester.org/enabled.html

Open Office and the likes may not work, and spell checking uses Java.

I think the older browsers are safer, That is one reason I don't go with the flow and use the oldest version that works good.

Many new upgrades and the latest and greatest is not needed, But they scare the public to make you think it is better and safer. When really the opposite is true.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It is a real threat, even tho they claim to have it fixed, I would not trust it. No Antivirus software seems to detect it.

You can get WinForce and block all Java on the fly. www.winforce.net

Only use Java.exe when you need it. Do not let other programs run it without you knowing.

Looks like Flash Player Plugins could be next. I hope to have a REAL fix for that soon.

Don't trust the New Internet fixes that have been released. I looked at some of them and they are no better than the old.

The new fix could even include better spyware, watch were you get the fix from.

It is best just to block Java, unless you really need to use it.

Many MS programs use Java now, And WinForce works good to block any BS software on the fly with 1 click of a button.

Java is needed for a lot of things (even some Antivirus software). Hackers love it, Granddaddy Sam does also.

On this subject, I got an email from Symantec/Norton assuring me that the issue is protected by them as long as the latest Java version is installed, and I am on automatic updates with Norton.

The best hackers get into the toughest, best protected systems anyway, like banks and governments.
databases. I I give a bad password on a bank log in, I get locked out. If a hacker can use brute force methods and get in with 750,000 or more tries, they will get my account info and money from my bank despite any s/w I have or do not have on my PC. I have Java installed with the latest updates at home.

as always, practice safe sex http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Safe_sex.gif

DonL

Reaction score
On this subject, I got an email from Symantec/Norton assuring me that the issue is protected by them as long as the latest Java version is installed, and I am on automatic updates with Norton.

The best hackers get into the toughest, best protected systems anyway, like banks and governments.
databases. I I give a bad password on a bank log in, I get locked out. If a hacker can use brute force methods and get in with 750,000 or more tries, they will get my account info and money from my bank despite any s/w I have or do not have on my PC. I have Java installed with the latest updates at home.

as always, practice safe sex http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/File:Safe_sex.gif

Kind of strange that Norton would require java to be updated in order to be safe.

I have always used a older version of java, that is safer than the new.

The best thing to do is get a good know version of java installed and make sure that jssched.exe is not in the system scheduler. You can disable it or remove it.

That will keep jucheck.exe from running and upgrading you to a new version without your knowledge. You can update manually if wanted.

Automatic updates are not all that great for everything.

Hackers use auto-update features in a lot of software to direct your machine to get the latest and greatest new virus.

If a hacker wants your bank info they normally get that info from a wifi connection using a sniffer, or a open public system where they can capture and record IP data packets. Or it could be a inside job.

If you have Java.exe running when using your internet browser then it could be running a Keystroke recorder and sending the data elsewhere.

I do like that safe sex link. To bad safe internet is a little more difficult, but is a can do.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Kind of strange that Norton would require java to be updated in order to be safe.

I have always used a older version of java, that is safer than the new.

The best thing to do is get a good know version of java installed and make sure that jssched.exe is not in the system scheduler. You can disable it or remove it.

That will keep jucheck.exe from running and upgrading you to a new version without your knowledge. You can update manually if wanted.

Automatic updates are not all that great for everything.

Hackers use auto-update features in a lot of software to direct your machine to get the latest and greatest new virus.

If a hacker wants your bank info they normally get that info from a wifi connection using a sniffer, or a open public system where they can capture and record IP data packets. Or it could be a inside job.

If you have Java.exe running when using your internet browser then it could be running a Keystroke recorder and sending the data elsewhere.

I do like that safe sex link. To bad safe internet is a little more difficult, but is a can do.

By the way, I did remove Java from my PC's when I saw the alerts because I am not as smart with PC's as I'd like to be, even though sometimes I think I am:p

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks