Question on Fleck 7000 water softener 64k grin

Users who are viewing this thread

Silversaver

Reaction score
After little over 2 weeks of usuage, I do enjoy the Fleck very much. The flow rate were good and all the plastic smell were gone. The regenrate sounds were much louder compare with my old GE, so I set the softener to regenerate in day time instead. Maybe I'll add the sound insulation in the future,

The only problem I had were the smoothness of the water. The 8lbs setting were good, but I missed the silky smoothness of my old GE. Do I wait for another few weeks? Or I can increase BF to 28 for 10lbs salt setting?

thx

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Some people may try to argue this but... you are right. High salting makes a difference in the feel of the water and it is noticeable. California requires extremely efficient salt settings but depending on where you are in Orange County, if your sewage is ocean discharge, then the brine setting really doesnt matter. Higher will give you better water. http://www.wcponline.com/pdf/1203Michaud.pdf This is one of the better articles explaining the difference between almost soft, and very soft water.

I would wait a couple more weeks to be sure you have the majority of the soft scale that forms in the plumbing during times of hard water is removed. After that, experiment with the salt setting a bit.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Sounds high. Take a look at the picture, remove the brine fittings from both ends of the brine tube and make sure the Jaco Style fittings are assembled correctly as shown. Also, if the tube does not have the insert you mentioned earlier, insert it into the tube. It helps make a better seal. Keep me updated as to what you find. jaco.jpg

Last edited:

Silversaver

Reaction score
Dittohead,

I'm not the expert as many of you here, so help me if you can on this question.

Base on your cheat sheet set BF to 22 with 0.25 BLFC = (22 / 4) = 5.5 gallons of water into brine tank. Each gallon of water dissolves 3lbs of salt so 5.5 X 3 = 16.5lbs on salts been used. Since this is a 2 cu ft system so 16.5lbs of salts / 2 cu ft = 8.25lbs of salt per cu ft. right?

but....

when you set the softener running at capacity of 48,000 grains, that is about the capacity of a 1.5 cu ft softener. when you use 16.5lbs / 1.5 cu ft = 11lbs. So you cheat sheet is more like a 11lbs salt per cu ft right? When you set the softener at capacity of 48,000 grains, the meter will think the softener is a 1.5 cu ft system and generates less softwater compare with a 64,000 grains 2 cu ft softener. How can that be an efficiency setting? If you set the softener at capacity of 64,000 grains and set BF to 30, that would pretty much giving you the same 11 lbs of salts per cu ft. but the softener will generate more soft water as you set the meter of Flect valve @ 64,000 and requires less regenerate cycles. Am I missing something here?

ditttohead

Reaction score
64000 grains is the theoretical limit of a 2 cubic ffot system, that can only be achieved when regenerating with 18+ pounds of salt per cu. ft. Read the cheat sheet again, you will notice the paragraph explaining the actual capacity.

It would be like rating a cars gas mileage, but only calculating a downhill slope of 30 degrees and coasting with the engine idling. Not exactly real world. A softeners real world capacity is closer to 24K per cu. ft. regenerating with 8 pounds of salt per cu. ft. Anything past that gets very inefficient. Ultra low salting (3-4) pounds per cu. ft. saves a lot of salt, but uses more water and water quality can suffer. 4-8 pounds per cu. ft. is the preferred salting.

Silversaver

Reaction score
After using the Fleck 7000 softner for few months, I have to said I had enough. I wonder how you people enjoy the "soft" water from this system. I'm not expert in water softner, but do you need to be one to use it? Play around with salt setting and never once have quality soft water I get from a GE softner. the softner cost me $700 + $500 labor.... not worth the money... going back to GE which design for stupid people. If you want this, $300 come and pick it up.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Your resin may not be fully regenerated. You could change the salt dose to 30 Lbs and do two manual regenerations, one after the other, with no water use during or between them. Then change the salt dose lbs back to whatever it was supposed to be.

You need to be sure there is 30 lbs of salt in the salt tank for each regeneration. You don't want but a couple lbs over that or the brine refill water will be shut off by the safety float and you won't get 30 lbs worth of salt to dissolve.

Silversaver

Reaction score
I'll try that, thanks Gary

will it be enough time for water to dissolve 30lbs of salt on 2nd run if I manual regenerate one after another?

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
In general, how much water should one add to the brine tank after cleaning it and loading new salt?

Reaction score
How is this so difficult? Isn't it basically just setting it up, adding salt, finding the right settings for you and that's all?

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Here's the question; "In general, how much water should one add to the brine tank after cleaning it and loading new salt?". Now that is after cleaning a salt tank but how about when installing a new softener or salt tank? How about you taking a stab at answering it.

When installing a new softener, even if you run a regeneration, there is no water to dissolve salt unless you add it because most control valves add the Refill water to the salt tank at the end of the present regeneration.,

Last edited:

Silversaver

Reaction score
Hi Gary,

It seems to be better than before, but not the same as what I had before... I am currently using 12lbs setting with 0.25 BLFC, my salt time setting @ 32. Which 32 x 0.25 = 8 gallons of water, then X 3lbs salt. the water will dissolve total 24lbs of salt

btw, I forgot to mention.. After every regeneration, the water turn little yellow with little black dot (very little). Take a day to 2 to clear out. That is weird....

Last edited:

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Hi Gary,

It seems to be better than before, but not the same as what I had before... I am currently using 12lbs setting with 0.25 BLFC, my salt time setting @ 32. Which 32 x 0.25 = 8 gallons of water, then X 3lbs salt. the water will dissolve total 24lbs of salt

btw, I forgot to mention.. After every regeneration, the water turn little yellow with little black dot (very little). Take a day to 2 to clear out. That is weird....

I see you say you are regenerating during the day.

That is not good. Any water used during regeneration causes hard water to get past the softener, and into the water heater if hot water being used. That will cause you to not feel slick/slippery wherever you mix hot with cold water.

And 24 lbs worth of refill water says 12 lb/cuft, not 12 lbs.

Amateur, the 7000 defect allowed a leak into the salt tank causing too much water in the salt tank.

Silversaver

Reaction score
The regeneration is setup at 4am in the morning, but I usually hit regeneration botton while we are out for dinner to avoid the noise late at night (too much noise). so there's no water usuage during regeneration.

I have check the water level in brine tank, nothing unusual. The only problem I had is no matter how much salt it uses, I don't get the soft water from my old softener.

"And 24 lbs worth of refill water says 12 lb/cuft, not 12 lbs." What do you mean? 8 gallons of water dissolve 24 lbs of salt. I'm running a 64k system so I assume my salt setting were 12lbs/cuft.
Am I missing something?

anyway, I have up the setting up @40 for 15lbs salt/cuft, lets see what happen

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks