Need Advice for new shower Pan

Users who are viewing this thread

Dana D DeBoer

Reaction score
I have an 55yr old house built on a slab. I was getting water leakage out of the shower so i decided to tear out the old pan. I discovered after the demo that there was no slab under the pan, only dirt. This does not sound normal to me. What would be the proper steps to be taken to ensure a new solid shower pan? :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help.

dana

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Was there a liner somewhere in that mix, or just deck mud on the dirt? Some people consider the tile as a waterproof layer, but it is not. All current codes require a sloped, waterproof layer underneath the tile that is then tied into the drain. For stability, I think I'd want to pour a slab, tied into the existing slab with rebar drilled into the existing slab and epoxied in place. If you were considering a barrier free shower, this would be an ideal time to do it, since it would then be easier to recess the pan and get the slope you need for one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks