noise in hot water tank

Users who are viewing this thread

jack99

Reaction score
hi everyone,
i am getting a slight metalic noise from a rheem ng tank when i open any cold water line. if i cut off cold water supply to hot water tank the noise stops. i have a hot water cut off value on tank. i cut it off also, and the noise remains.
any help would be great
jack99

jack99

Reaction score
jack99,
i have another question, i have a blue thermal expansion tank i got from lowes, installed on cold water line 6" above tank, i took out, should i put back in line, will this correct my noise problem. the noise i hear is like a tick-tock sound. does that make sense?
need help jack99

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
what is heat traps
Let me Google that for you.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+heat+traps

Putting back the expansion tank might reduce the noise a bit but it might not eliminate it completely.

HeatTraps.jpg

jack99

Reaction score
HI LLigetfa,
thanks for reply, should i replace the two heat traps, do they lift out of the pipes? the tank was manuf. in 2004.
jack99

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Chances are the replacements would also make noise. Why is this a problem? Can you not just ignore it? Some folk just remove them. Now and then mine will get sediment in one and stick so I've considered removing it the next time it happens. Usually only happens after I shut down and drain the system to work on some plumbing.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Where I live, an expansion tank is required by code. IF you have a closed system, it is required, period. I see no good reason to remove a good one...if it isn't good anymore, pick up a new one. When you heat water, it expands...that will generate higher water pressure unless there's some place for it to go. That increased pressure can produce some weird symptoms, including noises, as that high pressure water seeks an outlet. If your system is tight, it will get high enough to force open the T&P valve on the WH, and leak out a few ounces (it doesn't take much expansion to raise the pressure enough to release water there - the pressure rises very quickly if the system is closed and tight).

jack99

Reaction score
thanks guys, i will put tank back in line , an go from there. i put some extra spacers on pipes and walls. to stop all major noises. i found that air was getting in system by way of shut off valve on out side watering system. unless some major noises come iam happy. thanks for all your help

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The supply to an irrigation system should have a proper backflow preventer valve on it. In many places, this is supposed to be tested and certified annually or they can shut your water off! This is critical to ensure polluted water does not get into your potable drinking water. If it was leaking, it has failed, and your family's health is at risk...this is a much bigger issue than a few noises in the pipes!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks