Bathroom remodel - "hybrid" tub with two nailing flanges and two formed sides?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
My remodel forces the tub (can use 60-66) under a window, with one end to vanity cabinets and other to wall for plumbing access. My perfect solution is a acrylic with nailing flanges for plumbing end and window side with other side and end supported as in a standalone style. I don't want a wall on the end by cabinets as don't have space and also it would be proud of the cabinets by a minimum of 9" or so ...

I can use a full standalone, but concerned about dripping behind the edges under windows and faucet.

If I have to use standalone:
1. Who makes one that has a crisp edge and drop on the lip so water runs back towards tub?
2. Should I flush the edge under windows to the studs and cement board and tile over the edge as in a nailing flange install, or, install cement board and then tile over edge, or, simply tile walls and floor and slide it in with some form of caulking between tub and walls?

I don't have enough width to allow use of anything that nets more than 30-32" ...so, drop in simply won't work ...

Other options I'm missing?

Thanks!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most manufacturers who make a tub with 4 finished edges, also make a "tiling strip" that attaches to the "alcove" sides to make a water tight seal to the walls. However, if you need the two exposed sides to be integral with the tub, then you need to find a "corner tub" and they are not as common as they once were.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Thanks, hj,

Looked for a couple of hours today - wife wants me to consider a standalone, but with only 66 x 30 inches to work with, there isn't much that is available ...well, outside some wildly priced options. I did find a Kohler product called "Underscore," that has two flanges for three sides and a drop in front edge ... While this still results in a wall requirement to the right, it might look a bit better with tiled front that wraps around the wall and back to the adjacent cabinets. Perhaps higher end looking than a skirted tub. The installation diagrams don't directly show the width under the ledge, but it calls out about 24 1/4" in text description. With a 2x4 support wall in front, I might be able to keep the total width to 31-32 inches .... http://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1167599_4.pdf.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me how much setback from the tile edge would be in a case like this? Tub is 30" from back to front, with back and ends having nailing flanges ... front edge is finished like for a drop in installation ... thanks!

Stephenson

Reaction score
OK - think I need to close this one out ... wife has overruled me! She found a 55" x 30" standalone that I will find a way to make work - I hope - I have 69" for it to fit into, so might be OK. Thanks for comments.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you're a midget, a tub that small will not be very comfortable unless it is VERY deep. If you want to lay down and lounge in the tub, the 66" version is a much better choice. 30" wide is also frequently not all that comfortable, but you may not have much in options on that - wider is better. Add-on tiling flanges are generally available for most tubs, either from the manufacturer or as an aftermarket item. You generally want the cbu to come down over the flange, which generally means the edge of the tub will be buried close to an inch or so - 1/2" for the cbu, then another 1/2" or so for the tile and thinset. So, your 30" tub would have about 29" width from the finished wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks