(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: How Kosher is this?

Default How Kosher is this?

Okay, here's a "contractor bad dream story", hopefully cut a little bit short.

It's my own bathroom remodel, contractor raved about his plumber -- his plumber was going to use PEX instead of the original copper that was going to be torn out and somewhat rerouted. Nothing terribly major; move the toilet and hot water heater, plumb to a new bathtub and shower.

Last weekend we had a major freeze in the Pacific Northwest and I crawled under the house to check on the pipes. Granted, it is a miserable crawlspace -- hard to access and hard to move around in...but I don't think there's any excuse for what I found:

Name:  IMG_0733.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  68.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0735.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  56.6 KB

Aside from the old plumbing parts,torn out insulation, and garbage left under the house, exactly how "standard" is that kind of plumbing layout for PEX?
    I understand it's much easier to use, and flexible, but that doesn't excuse that particular snakes nest!

Should I insist this be redone? (I think so...)
    philip

Standard, no. Common, yes. Pex is plastic spaghetti crap.
    [B]No, plumbing ain't rocket science. Unlike rocket science, plumbing requires a license[B]

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's hard to make PEX runs look nice.
    It should be supported every four feet.
    Copper can get by with six feet.

It looks like two different insulation wraps. The darker stuff comes preglued, but you have to pull the cellophane off after installation to allow the two sticky sides to bind together.
    The light stuff was tie wrapped.

A lot of contractors use PEX because they can install it that way, because it takes less time, even it if does use a bit more material. They don't really care how it looks as long as nobody is going to see it.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber