Code clearance between ABS and recessed lighting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
I'm installing a new ABS drain and have a recessed can in the same joist bay. Is there a code requirement for how close I can be to the lighting fixture? There was some discussion in the archive to follow the lighting mfg recommendations, but its an existing light and I don't have anything on it. I could move the light to the next joist bay, or jog the drain into the bay, but am wondering if its worth the trouble.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Is the can an IC rated fixture? Would the things actually touch? WIll it run to the side or over the fixture? Sometimes, the fixtures have a label on them describing required clearances, or at least a manufacturer and model number which you could look up. It probably won't be an issue, but need more details. Jogging drainage pipes requires some considerations, such as cleanouts when the change in direction exceeds certain amounts. Best to be avoided.

Buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. Below is a pic of the fixture. It's installed in a basement acoustic tile ceiling. The sticker reads, "Warning: Risk of fire. Do note install insulation within 3" of fixture sides or wiring compartment, nor above fixture in such a manner as to entrap heat."

I was planning to the ABS next to the fixture, maybe 2" away.

recessed light.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks