(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP! Underwater and over my head. Supply main leak

Thank you so much for you help, folks! Here is the update:

Okay. We decided on replacing the whole main line. So far, I want PEX because 300 feet of copper will cost more than my house! I called the water company and the guy said if I use PEX, I need to put it in another pipe/sleeve. Also, he said for the 15 -20 feet that leads from their meter to my property line I should use what they already have there to make future repairs easier. Also, when asking about the size, he said to use whatever size I already have to keep the same pressure. The City says I do need permits, but no one is in the office to give them today. The dig clearance folks can be out right away on an emergency basis.

There is only one plumber who mentioned replacing the whole line and he is charging not much more than the ones who were just going to patch the area under the patio. He is the one we will likely go with after we check with BBB.

This may be a silly question, but I know the main runs from the meter to the house, but what about all of the irrigation and faucets in the yard? Does that run off the same pipe? I am thinking that as long as I have a trencher, I should re arrange some of the outdoors water areas so I don't have to drag hose so far.

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

If it were my house, I would want any outdoor irrigation or spigots to be piped starting from the inside of the house, so that I would have the ability to turn things on and off from in the house.

So you're going to opt for Pex then pipe to shield the Pex. That ought to jack the price up pretty good. It also should tell you something about Pex. PE does not have to be shielded. It's not just pressure you will lose with pipe that is too small, it is also flow (volume) If you are going to install an irrigation system, you will want more volume than just you household usage. Whether you make the connection inside or out, much of the same things have to be dealt with. When you tee off of the main line, the irrigation side will need a stop and waste valve. You will also need a back flow prevention device so that contaminated irrigation water can not enter your domestic supply. (think about Fido doing his business on top of a sprinkler.) That BF device should be certified annually by a licensed inspector. You can cap the irrigation side off until you have the system installed, just keep the valve closed. Inside the house you will want a Pressure Regulating Valve (PRV) to avoid having too much pressure in the home. Maximum pressure inside is 80 psi, but 50 or 60 is really better and less wear and tear on toilets, ice makes, and washers. A PRV will necessitate a Thermal Expansion tank to prevent your water heater's T/P valve from tripping every time water is heated. Finally, I would urge you to get a second and even a third opinion on the use of Pex vs PE.

Did you ask the water company about using PE as opposed to PEX? Might be significantly-cheaper and less-complicated, assuming that you do an installation that meets code.

Might be interesting to see what a sprinkler company or plain ol' laborer/landscaper/etc. would want to dig your trench alone, then you lay out your own PE, then hire a very competent plumber to do the hookup. Obviously, there are superior solutions and one-stop shopping might be best, but if you can save a substantial amount of money and still have the skilled professionals do what they do best, that might be the way if you are strapped for cash.

As a not-entirely-comparable example, my drain-cleaning professional (great guy) told me that it wasn't worth it for me to have him dig the muck/silt out of a number of deep catchbasins on the property. A vac truck would have made short work of the job, but would have cost a fortune to bring in, and he, frankly, didn't really want to do the work. When I asked our landscaper whether he had any ideas, he gave me a rock-bottom price just to have a couple of his laborers dig them out. It was tough manual work, but he was happy to have the business and they were happy to have the work. And they did a great job; I can't believe how deeply they dug them out, so we are good to go for at least a couple of years, I think.
    Last edited by wjcandee; 01-14-2013 at 10:46 PM.

At this point, it looks like I will be doing a lot of it myself. The plumber we finally agree upon was supposed to be here last Tuesday and have water on by Wednesday. I have called several times daily and he is a no show and won't return calls. He did find time to stop by right away and pick up 10% deposit. Every single day they are on their way. This morning promising by nine am. At NOON a kid in truck says he is supposed to drop off pipe for the job but they don't have the right fittings and are hoping to have them Monday! Seriously? And 10 phone calls have not been returned!
    I finally did what I should have done in the first place and look him up on the BBB website. He has an F grade and his license is getting ready to be taken away. He was a very charming guy but this is not the first time he has taken the money and run. GRRRRRR! I am going to kiss the money good bye-it wasn't that much about 250, but the TIME sucks.

The city is closed so I can't get a permit during the holiday weekend. Pretty frustrating week. This time I am STARTING with the BBB A+ ratings only. Have had two more plumbers out today who have to go home and figure out the estimate. Does 3 days to dig 300 feet in sand seem crazy? The last guy thought it might take 3-5 days to dig the trench. WOW!
    Last edited by nursedoe; 01-19-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Oh Gary! At this point, I just want WATER. The last plumber took the money and ran. I don't have 5 grand that the good guys want and probably deserve. I just thought PEX would be easier because of the long rolls. I was initially wanting to be as "green" as possible but right now I am frustrated and tired. I just had the water company out AGAIN. I just asked him where the main leads off the meter to my house...They only marked a line across the easement from my house running parallel to the property. He said it was my problem and that it could lead to my property anywhere along those 100 feet. Dug around the meter...Found a thick black pipe that seems to making some sort or arc in the first 3 feet from the meter. I am just trying to find about where it is so I don't break it when digging the trench. We can turn the water on now for 30 minutes to flush toilets and shower in the mornings.

I asked the water company what size pipe I need. He said whatever I want to use and it is not his problem. ( Smile) I asked what size the meter pipe is and he said.."Maybe 3/4 inch..probably". I asked if I should use one or 1.5 and the little darling said it doesn't matter. He said he has 1 inch PVC and it is okay. I asked if 300 foot is too far for that size...he doesn't know. He doesn't know anything about PEX. So, water company guy...not so helpful.

I tried to read up on the pressure and loss etc online, but it really is more complicated than I can I figure out when I am so cranky. The two A+ rated plumbers came out and looked at it Saturday, but still have not called with estimates other than closer to 5-8 grand. In the meanwhile, we are just trying to dig a trench for the new pipe. I have three strong nephews on their up here from Orange County to help. Wish us luck.

There is a pressure regulator right before the house in the middle of the patio. I think that is what you mean. I have not heard of the separate irrigation stop and waste valve or a back flow prevention device. I now want to gag thinking about it. I have no idea what the previous plan was...I just know where ever we dig...we run into black thick pipe running in every possible direction.